Old 11-17-2013, 05:15 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Unhappy Engine stalls, runs rough after topping off the fuel tank

Hello Maxum owners, this is my first post. Just acquired my 2000 2400 SCR about 2 months ago, was able to take it out on the water only 2 times. I was so thrilled the first time I took it out, engine running perfectly fine, went around Bainbridge Island (sorry... if you're not from Washington you may not have any idea where that island is) for 2 hours mostly running high speed. Second time I took it out, decided to top off the fuel tank at nearby marina, since then the engine (305) started running rough, stalls for I don't know what reason. Expert at West Marine says, I may have stirred up all the sediment at the bottom of my tank. Bad/contaminated gas? How to siphon the gas out from the tank? Thanks for the help.

cruz'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Admiral

cruz'r, welcome aboard.

How much gas did you put in? Yes the gas may be contaminated. When you bought the boat was it being used or sitting for a few years, this would lead to sediment. Remove the gas filter and pour it into a glass jar. Then look to see it there is water or if the gas is discolored.

I have the same model but 97' and this boat has a 70gallon gas tank which makes it hard to drain and dispose yourself. I recommend you find a company to do this for you. They may be able to polish the fuel (removes sediment and water).

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Captain

cruz'r, I recommend that you replace your fuel filter, and see if the filter trapped any debris. There are numerous threads on this site discussing similar problems and would be worth a search.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Mike, Thank you for responding to my post, I put in 34 gallons, about half of the tank. I already changed the gas filter/water separator and discarded it. Since no way now that I can tell and the boat is already winterized, I'll just assume it's a bad/contaminated gas and will find a way to empty the tank.

jrsick, thank you also for responding.

I love this forum, I'm considering to donate to keep it going, I encourage everyone who uses it to do the same.

cruz'r
cruz'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:57 AM   #5
Admiral

cruz'r even though it's been winterized if you have access you can still remove the fuel filter and pour it's contents into a jar to see if it has water or looks funky. else It's the first thing to do in the spring.

good luck and let us know what you find when you can.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote