Old 05-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #1
Admiral

Default Dock Stories

Hey guys....obviously this place needs a boot in the butt....so...here's what I think we should do....
Tell us your dock stories....funny ones or not!!...if it happened to you even better.....
I'll start....last summer my wife and I along with another boater family ran up to the canadian san juan islands or what they call the gulf islands (I never got that either...thier in the puget sound!!)..We're staying at a marina called poets cove...awesome place.....eagles galor....all kinds of wild life including whales and such....
..hemmingways there's this other boater there is this other boater goes up to the marina shack on the dock and gets some herring to feed the eagle perched up on top of this tree...big huge bald eagle....well..this guy goes out to the end of the finger pier and waves this herring over his head really slow and the bald eagle zero's in like a lazer....he then tosses it away from the pier and the eagle swoops down and snatches the herring out of the water and everyone in the marina just goes ooooo/aaahhhhh!!!.....photo op...right???
.after he's fed the eagle, my wife gets the brilliant idea that she wants to get some photo's of this eagle....so...me being the photographer....I pull out my big 35mm with the 400 mm lense....and she takes a chunk of meat and waves it over her head like she's trying to flag a taxi....I yell to her to slow down and when she does the eagle takes a bead on her hand.....she throws the meat out into the water.....
mind you...all she has to do is stand there...the eagle does his swoop thing and heads for the meat in the water....the wife turn 45 degs and runs right off the dock!!...yep....all I saw in the view finder was her hair looking like a cartoon prat fall......
now the kicker was the fact that this cripple guy was walking by just as she took the step off the dock and was there before I could register that she was in about 15 ft of freezing water!!!........no pic of the eagle and no pic of my wife spitting up water and her hair all over the place...!!....

now what's yours!!.....tell us your dock stories!!!....lets have some fun here!!!

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
Admiral

WHAT???....47 people read mine and nobody has a funny story!!.... :?

come on guys....what's your stories!!

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
Lt. Commander

Default Chesapeke area

I have something to pass along, not a funny story but good info for Northern Virginia and Maryland or DC boaters.

Mothers day we took the boat from Springfield up to Annapolis Md. The trip is only 50 minutes for us, and you get off the interstate about 500 yards prior to the Bay Bridge and the State park (Sandy Point). It has the best ramps you will find anywhere on the Bay. From the park after a 2 minute run out the channel, you are on the Bay where you can turn north and go into Baltimore, or South and go into Annapolis.

For us we went into Annapolis where the view was tremendous. Mom likes to shop so we paid the 6 bucks to one of the Harbormaster's kids ( they walk up and down and collect) but the slips were excellent, and there were lots of spaces available for any size boat. The fee is good for an hour, so we went, and had lunch, then let Mom shop for a while, while we watched the Go-Fast and other boats come down "Ego-Alley" . Actually, I had to pay for a second hour, but all in all it was very plesant sitting out the blustery morning conditions.

By late afternoon, the wind dropped off to 12 mph and we had a nice run back to the Bay Bridge and into the park. Recovery and clean up was very easy as there is a ton of space in the parking lot, and there weren't a lot of folks, or so it seemed with all the space.

All in all, I can highly recommend this as a launch point for anyone with a trailerable boat. Park entrance fees for out of State'ers is a bit steep and goes by how many people are in the vehicle, (I think it was 5 bucks a head), but the facilities were fantastic. Get out on the Bay and make Sandy point your start point.

KKKKFL
Franco_2100SC is offline   Reply With Quote