Old 07-25-2017, 02:12 AM   #1
Captain

Default Dock electrics

Anyone smart with dock wiring? My boat has been without shore power for two weeks now because they went and installed GFCIs for the dock and it keeps tripping. I know we have GFCIs within the boat, but should the whole dock be on one...? They still haven't been able to find the ground that keeps tripping it and have no idea when they'll get it fixed. Glad I got my generator working, but annoyed I left my fish bait in the fridge....

speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:38 AM   #2
Admiral

The GFCI is tripping because there is current on the ground wire. How many boats are on the dock? One must have a wiring issue. How quickly is it tripping? Have they verified with all boats disconnected it stays set? If so then connect one boat at a time for the duration it took to trip until you find which boat is the culprit.

I'm surprised the marina allows you to run the generator as thus has lead to death from carbon monoxide in neighboring boats. Typically an insurance no no.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:40 AM   #3
Captain

I think they said they decided it was the wiring on the dock that's the problem.
I don't run the generator non stop! Only when I'm there to charge up the batteries...
Old 07-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #4

There are typically concessions when the marina takes the power offline long-term. Otherwise, people would be screaming for rebates. Would you pay full price for a season at a marina without power?

I was in a marina that re-did their power on the docks. I launched in Mid-may and I didn't get power to the post until mid to late July. I ran a Honda 2K at the end of my finger pier with the exhaust pointing out. Only when I was present. I was out on the end and everyone around me were day boaters. I'd run it all night long to keep the AC running on really hot nights if we were in the marina (which is fairly rare anyway).
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:02 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
There are typically concessions when the marina takes the power offline long-term. Otherwise, people would be screaming for rebates. Would you pay full price for a season at a marina without power?

I was in a marina that re-did their power on the docks. I launched in Mid-may and I didn't get power to the post until mid to late July. I ran a Honda 2K at the end of my finger pier with the exhaust pointing out. Only when I was present. I was out on the end and everyone around me were day boaters. I'd run it all night long to keep the AC running on really hot nights if we were in the marina (which is fairly rare anyway).
Shrew, just wondering what size a/c unit you have. I tried a 2250watt and it would not start my a/c =16,000.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt214 View Post
Shrew, just wondering what size a/c unit you have. I tried a 2250watt and it would not start my a/c =16,000.
Much smaller. The same 2K generator will not run my current AC unit.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:54 PM   #7
Captain

Well the manager was there today cycling power for folks. Played with mine a little. With only my breaker turned on for the whole dock, I did just fine... until I turned my AC on. As soon as the compressor tried to start, the GFCI tripped. Does my 94 3200 have any internal GFCI besides a couple of the outlets? I guess I'll have to take the AC controller apart to test for a compressor ground, right?
Old 07-31-2017, 09:50 PM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysprocket View Post
Well the manager was there today cycling power for folks. Played with mine a little. With only my breaker turned on for the whole dock, I did just fine... until I turned my AC on. As soon as the compressor tried to start, the GFCI tripped. Does my 94 3200 have any internal GFCI besides a couple of the outlets? I guess I'll have to take the AC controller apart to test for a compressor ground, right?
? So the rest of the boats on the dock were connected as well and their ACs were running without tripping the GFCI?

Was your AC working before thus? If so it would strange to suddenly fail. Not sure what you mean by test for a compressor ground. Shorted compressor winding to ground, if so it would not have worked before. Before turning on your AC did you turn on other 120VAC items, microwave, ....?

Mike
Old 08-01-2017, 01:36 AM   #9
Captain

I don't know what the rest of the boats are doing. There is usually almost no one ever there.
My air conditioner worked before and still works on the generator. Electrical stuff can still work with grounds. I still think their GFCI and/or wiring is bad or not designed for our loads. He says they're trying to get GFCIs for each pedestal instead of for the entire dock next...
Old 08-01-2017, 01:59 AM   #10
Admiral

I agree it sounds like an issue on there end. Do they have licensed electricians doing the work that are versed in marine applications?

Mike
Old 08-01-2017, 02:01 AM   #11
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
I agree it sounds like an issue on there end. Do they have licensed electricians doing the work that are versed in marine applications?

Ha. It's the Naval Base marina, so they have Naval Facilities, or NavFac, doing the work. They don't have the best reputation...
Old 08-01-2017, 02:08 AM   #12
Admiral

So what made them decide to rewire the docks? Government regulations?

Should be able to google the correct way to do this.

Mike
Old 08-01-2017, 02:12 AM   #13
Captain

I'm sure someone just woke up one day and thought it was a good idea. There are a lot of neglected boats there, though. 32' regal at the head of the dock has only seen its owner one day in the last 18 months. I turned the power on yesterday and his bilge pump ran for several minutes before my AC tripped the power back off...
Old 08-01-2017, 02:15 AM   #14
Admiral

Quote:
I'm sure someone just woke up one day and thought it was a good idea. There are a lot of neglected boats there, though. 32' regal at the head of the dock has only seen its owner one day in the last 18 months. I turned the power on yesterday and his bilge pump ran for several minutes before my AC tripped the power back off...
Must be a sub guy because it sounds like his boat is headed that way. Dead batteries.

Mike
Old 08-01-2017, 02:16 AM   #15
Captain

And the staff probably wouldn't even notice until just the radar arch was showing.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:18 AM   #16
Admiral

Quote:
And the staff probably wouldn't even notice until just the radar arch was showing.
Periscope up!

Mike