Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Do you turn your battery off after use?

I have 3000SCR that is regularly connected to shore power. My friend has a similar boat and when he goes home for the day after using his boat, he switches off both his house battery and engine batteries and he recommended that I do the same. Whats everybody's opinion on this, is this necessary or is this being over cautious? I could see if you weren't coming back to the boat for like a month, but it is rare that I don't come back within a 2 week period to run the boat again, and by turning off the power to the electronics all the time it makes it a pain because all the radio presets and similar type things have to be setup every time I come back to the boat.

Just wondering, thanks!

Chesapeake Marc

Chesapeake Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Admiral

I kind of like a cold beer when I get to my boat so I doubt I would do this. If you do make sure your bilge pump is hotwired directly to your battery . IMHO I sort of think this is overly cautious. I am only 20 minutes away from our slip so again not for me.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #3

It depends on how he has everything setup. If he is connected to shorepower and running his battery charger to keep the batteries topped of AND he has wired his bilge pumps directly to his batteries, then no big deal. However, if shutting the switch off also cuts power to the bilge pumps, then I would not do this.

I'd press him further for WHY.

Roger, your fridge should run on AC as well. However, I agree, the last thing we do at end of the weekend is button-up the canvas. The SECOND TO LAST thing we do is put a s'pak in the fridge so it's cold and handy when we come back the following Friday. (There's more in the cooler, but I'm not digging for my first beer when I get there)
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
Admiral

Shrew as soon as I hit the post icon I said opps that's not right......the frig will be using the shore power.....still with that said that is not for me. If the 12v system is in working order I see no reason to turn the isolaters to off.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #5

At leat we agree on the fact that cold beer readily at hand when you arrive at the boat is a must. Once I'm there everything else short of sinking or fire kinda takes a backseat in my priority list. LOL

As far as the batteries go, if you can't turn your bilge pumps on with the battery switch off, then I would not turn the battery switch off unless the boat were being stored out of the water.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #6
Commander

No, always on.
dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:34 AM   #7
Lt. Commander

mines are always on, as long as the boat is connected to electricity they will be charged by the battery charger. no need to turn them off!

rodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote