Old 12-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
Admiral

Default Do you shower on your boat?

This was brought up on another boating website that I go to....

The original question was dealing with the mechanical side of getting a shower on board and I brought up the practical side of wanting to shower on board. I have a 3000 and still with a 30 footer I have never wanted to take a shower on my boat. Just not alot of room. I'll use the bathrooms at our marina.

So the question is............ Have you taken a shower on your boat?

Please set us all up with size of boat, maybe your size, etc etc.

Happy Hoilday

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Well, since our boat doesn't have a "shower" I'll have to say no. It does have a fresh water rinse off spray hose in the transom locker that can be pulled out and used as a cold shower while standing on the swim platform but, with just a 10 gallon supply, we'd have to meter the water carefully. Privacy might also be a concern depending on where we're floating.

Nevertheless, IF we had such a facility I would treat it the same way I treat the onboard head; use it if there are no other options available.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Default Shower Time On Board

I Use our shower when we are at anchor or underway, I will use the Marina Shower if it is clean !!
I Have a Maxum 3300 se with a shower in the head Not big but fine when needed

We have spent many a night on the hook, or as a transient in Marinas

John
John Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
Admiral

we use the boat head/shower all the time....although we do a navy shower (rinse-wash-rinse)...it still leaves enough for the admirable to wash her hair....it's sometimes a pain to clean up after but that's what they make towels for....overall it isn't bad..you just have to change your methods compared to the home showers....sometimes we go to the shore facilities just for something different.....

but the boat works fine..

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
Lieutenant

1998 37 SCR Has a great shower us it all the time This boat also holds 50 gal of fresh water.
William Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:55 PM   #6
Commander

We have logged 98 nights so far this year and I guess we have taken a shower on board at least 85 of them. I laid a stainless kitchen strainer screen in the shower drain and haven't had to clean the shower sump since last winter. We just rinse the screen out in the head sink after each shower.
dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:41 AM   #7
Admiral

Well so far the boys in the BIG boats( over 30 feet) have answered and it looks like they love their showers! Come all you boaters under 30 feet let us know. Do you squeeze into your head to take a shower?

Roger
Old 12-15-2011, 01:45 AM   #8
Captain

28scr which is 29'9" in 2000 but was renamed a 2900scr..... and use the shower for the kids and washing the sand off.

Its a camper shower with a trigger handle, not a soak for hours like home.

much like using the potty, what the point of owning it if you use the comunity shower with everyone germs?

same with a bed and someone else bed bugs at a hotel.

the shower sub has a build in strainer and a sand trap, plus is $140 new...... so wear it out...!
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:48 AM   #9
Lt. Commander

I have a 2900 SCR and have used the shower when we've visited other marina's as a transient. There is a fresh water hook up by the swim platform that runs through the hot water heater. Works pretty well....
Capt Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:14 AM   #10
Admiral

on my 2003 model yr 2700 scr...it was an acrobat event but the shower worked great.....the other person had to be up in the cockpit or midberth to shower..but it was definitely doable......

SP..
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #11

I have a '97 2800. Unlike the larger models that have a seperate shower stall, mine is in the head itself. We're just not interested in the Big Wipedown afterwards. Sure there is a curtain, but still have no interest. We use teh shower at the marina. When we're out on the hook, we jump in the ocean, then climb out and soap down, then jump back in again. Then climb out and use the transom shower to rinse the saltwater off. Out transom shower has both hot and cold. I understand this is not practical for many freshwater boaters, but in the ocean grey water discharge is legal and this is no different than the shower sump discharging overboard anyway. Plus this method uses WAY less water. We don't have a large water tank, so water becomes a commodity for us. We typically arrive at the boat on Friday night. The wife showers on Sat. morning, while I wait until we're anchored up and do 'swim-soap-swim-rinse' routine in the evening, then again on Sunday morning when I wake up. We both use the marina shower on Sunday evening after we've washed the boat and loaded the car before we head home.

So the short version of the long answer is NO, we have never used the shower in the head.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID

We use our shower a 2 or 3 times a season I'd say. In particular I LIKE how we end up cleaning the head stall after the wipe-down, as it usually needs it! We too have a curtain on our 2001 2900SCR, making sure it extends all the way around to avoid water leaking everywhere is one challenge. Our marina doesn't have showers, but when we moored at previous marinas that had showers, we'd use them. I remember one time I even took a shower while underway and the Admiral was driving! We had the portable generator (Honda eu2000) warm up the 6 gallon tank prior to coming off a buoy, and then I took a shower on our way home to the marina... pretty cool.

My wife was excited to learn we had hot water on the transom shower a couple seasons ago... amazing. It took her three seasons to realize we had the ability to wash her hair out on the platform! We use every aspect of Endless Summer, and it SHOWS in all of the stuff breaking down all the time.

Break Out Another Thousand...
Old 06-26-2013, 05:51 AM   #13
Ensign

I have the 2700SCR and same as Jeff, I use it about 2-3 times per year. Never had it clog, but the wife has only used it once. I have noticed that the hot water tank stays hot for quite some time, even the next day being off shore power i can take a reasonably warm shower.
JMHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:01 AM   #14
Commander

I use it nearly everytime I go out, I have a shower after working on the boat (even though we have one at the marina) I shower my young boy every night we are out, my daughter and wife also shower everyday we are out, I have water storage issues but to be honest only after about 4 days do we struggle, it's not a long shower each time but unlike most of my other boat friends who wet/soap/wash I stand with the water on and do what's required. Could not own another boat without one, saying that though the next one may have a bath, that would be cool!

3500 SCR
Huddo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #15
Admiral

I have a 2001 3000 and that was one of the first things to take off was the wrap around shower curtain. We don't shower on board but the marina where are slip is has full restroom services so as we use their shower and bathrooms cause no number 2ing is allowed on our boat either. Only in emergency's for that.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it .......

Roger
Old 06-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #16

Uh Oh, Zombie Thread!! Roger did you notice you replied to your own thread that you started a few years ago?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #17
Admiral

2500SE. My girlfriend uses the shower all the time but at 6'4" I don't fit in the head as well as she does so I do the jump in , soap up, jump in , rinse with transom shower routine.

Unless the water is cold then I just use the transom shower.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #18
Admiral

Wow man...........cosmic.....what comes around .....goes around.......:-)
Old 06-27-2013, 02:38 AM   #19
Lt. JG

2400 SE

I tell everyone that there is only a closet behind that door !
Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #20
Ensign

This is very interesting topic to read, I have seen some people taking shower on their boats. I did not take yet honestly speaking. But I am thinking one day when I run my boat in adventure I will need to take such shower. I saw in some shows people taking showers on their boats with the sea water. How cool is this. Awesome.