Old 10-13-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Correct prop size for 3000 scr

I am sure this question has been asked... Does anyone know the correct prop size for a twin 4.3L on a 1998 Maxum 3000 SCR. I have to replace the aluminum props. One was chewed up pretty good. the other looks okay. Any advise would be helpful! Thanks in advance for your help!

Captainjeff296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:39 AM   #2
Captain

well,

you could get a pretend expert like me to awnser or you could call these guys....

http://www.ljmw.com/

they will most likely tell you that someone in your area can grind and balance it back to specs....

now what ya hit?

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:07 AM   #3
Ensign

Pascavone: Thanks for the link ... AND your honesty! :-) Happy boating! I haven't even taken delivery of it yet. It appears someone before me nicked a rock or something of the sort. The other prop is in great shape. Two of the blades are chipped and the other is scratched. They are the OEM aluminum props. I am thinking of replacing them with SS but not sure if it is worth the money at this point... I am not a performance guy and in no hurry to get anywhere!
Old 10-13-2011, 02:50 AM   #4
Admiral

welcome to the zoo....you can as stated pull the props and have them reconditioned in a prop shop......they can analyse the prop angles and tell you exactly what you have...if your just now purchasing the boat...you can put in the contract that either new props or the props have to be reconditioned...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Admiral

Capt Jeff.......first welcome...........I hope for the sake of your bank account that you have had a surveyor with you to buy this boat and also get the lower units checked out.

So if all is good then the suveyor will take you out for a trial run but if you can't do this cause of the props being cut up....I would not buy this boat until new props are on the boat. The suveyor will tell you what size they are. Again your trial run you can do WOT and figure all this out if you what to use something different. Your boat with these V6's has a RPM range and that is what you have to be in between this RPM range. Not enough pitch or too much pitch in your props and the engines are not performing up to par.

I would think cause you have the V6's and not V8's that you also have the alpha drives and not the bravo drives. If you look into SS props for your alpha drives they are very reasonable for a pair.......however the bravo drives are not worth the cost for what you will achieve speed and performance wise again IMHO.

So things to think about Capt. protect that bank account of yours.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
Ensign

Thanks to all who replied. I am having new props put on it for sea trial. All has checked out so far... No issues with the engines and it has Bravo II Outdrives. The survey checks out good, just a few minor issues to deal with. Again, thanks to all!

Jeff
Old 10-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
Admiral

Bravo 2's on your boat with V6's? interesting!!

SS prop's for Bravo 2's are around $400 or $500 a piece and with those V6's you will not gain $800.00 worth of speed nor performance because of them. Save your money for gas and get the prop's redone by a good propshop in your area. Geez go check out the price of new aluminum props......that will pop your eyes out!

Good luck

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
Captain

hey, we would love to know what the top speed is with your 2- 4.3. post the results after your sea trial.

thanks,
Old 10-13-2011, 10:34 PM   #9
Ensign

Thanks guys! I found a very good prop repair shop just down the street from me. (So nice to live in the Tampa Bay area!) I will remove it and bring it to them for re-conditioning. I agree about the SS Prop... I am not a huge performance guy anyway and I am fine with the aluminum screws. I will post the Top End Speeds and RPM's once I get her splashed. I am (As with all new toys) looking forward to making her whole again and putting her in bristol condition. I'll try to post before and after pic's if I can get the picture function working on this site.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
Captain

you better hurry before the cold weather sets in and your have to winterize for the season, which may mean you need to wear a wind breaker.....
Old 11-09-2011, 11:41 PM   #11
Ensign

.........or god forbid,,,,,socks! lol

big old stinger is offline   Reply With Quote