Old 04-28-2008, 02:55 AM   #1
Lt. Commander

Send a message via AIM to TBarCYa
Default Converting a convertible top to a bimini

I just bought a 2008 1800MX and didn't realize until I was about to take delivery that it has a convertible top and not a bimini. Every boat with the top up in the showroom was a bimini and I neglected to do my research about the top before buying and it wasn't a deal breaker so...

I'm wondering if it's possible to buy the canvas and front pole and convert my convertible to a bimini? Or, for those who have the convertible, how do you like it in the summer? I took the boat out today and the top was great for keeping the chilly 60deg wind off everyone so now I'm worried that when I put the top up to get out of the sun that it will get too hot.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2008 Maxum 1800MX - 'Lottie-Da'
https://www.tombarcia.net/lottie-da/index.htm
TBarCYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
Commander

The bimini top works better for me, mostly because I like to look over the windshield when I am at the helm. The convertible is great for use in cold or wet weather though. I have mine for sale if somebody needs one: http://maxumownersclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=510

I don't think trying to change your top to a bimimi would be worth the cost or the work involved. I purchased my 6ft sunbrella bimini top with double wall aluminum poles and mounting hardware for $200 a few years ago from GMI. I am sure that the price has risen, but I bet the cost of the fabric, poles and hardware would be almost as much if purchased separately.

MMSI# 338052622
tglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
Commander

My 1800 came with the bimini and it is a must have for those full days on the water.

Like tglee said, I navigate looking over the windshield (I have the capt. chair with the fold up bolster). the few times I tried to sit and navigate looking through the windshield didn't last long. Especially in saltwater, now if I had windshield wipers it might be a different story.
racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

This is the first boat where I was actually able to sit and drive because the helm seat is in the perfect position for me. I didn't get much spray but if I did, I imagine that it would drastically affect visability.

I figured that since the hardware is already installed for the convertible/bimini that it would be easier to try to convert it. The only hardware I'm missing is the cleat on the windshield frame. I guess if I can find an aftermarket bimini that will work with the OEM hardware, I should be in good shape. Either that or I'll keep the top down until it's time to stop and then put it up to make shade.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:28 AM   #5
Lt. JG

I have the XR1800 and I used the convertible top for the first time a few weeks ago and I liked it. I had the top in the boot on the ride to the lake then opened it up when we were away from the dock. The sun in South Mississippi is hot even in spring and the convertible top keeps it off. The back of the convertible is open and with the center window open we had a nice breeze. The visability seemed fine but I was just putting around, I'm thinking about lightly tinting the windows to reduce the sun even more. If you do order a bimini the higher that you have it the more sun you get early or late in the day and if you live where it's cool in the day time that may not be a bad thing. I have had sun stroke in the past I woke up in the middle of the night was sick and passed out on the floor. Seems like when the wind is on you and your swimming everything is fine but be careful, we have our kids wear hats, drink lots of water and limit there time in the sun.
djsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

That's good to hear, thanks. I'm going to see how the convertible works out over this season then decide whether to get the sides for the convertible or replace it with a bimini.

Boating season for me usually starts in late May because it's too cool for boating in April but the convertible makes it comfortable to boat in 60deg weather so there's definitely a plus to it.