Old 06-24-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Send a message via Yahoo to irishladdie
Default circuit breaker

Hi .
Have a 1991 2300 scr, and have lost all power, nothing working except bilge pumps. on top of the 4.3 engine there is a circuit breaker that says push to reset, nothing seems to happen when pushed, and checking with meter there is 12volts DC on either side of the switch. I tried bridging out between the switch, but it seems like i was shorting out the battery, with large flashing on touching one side.
I have an electrical drawing but i does not show this breaker on it.
Has anyone ever had problems with this breaker, and should it just carry the postive side, to supply the rest of the boat.

Thanks,
Len

Old 06-25-2010, 01:24 AM   #2
Lieutenant

Hi there: that breaker on your engine is there only for the engine the 2 x red cables are both +, 1 line (feed) the ather the load (engine). if you had a spark there when you shorted them out it would be 1 of 2 things :1 there is a load/ something is ON or 2: you have a short there/ tuching ground -. If you are looking for power for the rest of the boat try looking for the C/B maked house or somthing like that, thay are some times near the battery change over switches, near the fuses for the bilg Tony

TonyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:30 AM   #3
Lieutenant

O :: I foregot may be the change over swith has shot itself, if that goes you will get on power anywere exsept thing like the bilg pumps ets ( that is if you have the change over switch) idf not check the battery supply cable. Tony
TonyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:35 AM   #4
Admiral

actually there is a fusable link at the starter....the fusable link draws power to everything including the dash....so....check the fusable link at the starter......

then trace the wires going to the alternator to make sure it's not shorting out anyplace...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Send a message via Yahoo to irishladdie
Red face Circuit breaker

Hi,
Thanks for the reply Tony and Seapuppy.
There does not appear to be any c/b in the engine compartment apart from the one i have mentioned, also no fushable link as i found the main cable on the starter loose, and did not notice any link.
The drawing does show the main supply going from the engine to the instrumment panel by the means of a plug, which again i cannot see, so i guess it it a case of tracing it back from the panel and breaking the wiring looms.
Re the c/b on the engine then if it only does the engine there must be a short, as nothiing would be on until the key would be turned , i think.
Anyway thanks for the help and if i find the fault will post it and maybe help someone else if they ever get the same problem.

Len