Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-30-2015, 01:18 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Cars and boats...

Bought my first boat (1988 1700 I/O) started by recovering some interior, now doing the whole interior with custom side panels... New stereo and I think I'm gonna replace the floor and stringers...

What happens if you put a 5.3 LS in these things?

suprathepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:21 AM   #2
Admiral

That's a lot of HP for that size boat.

Is there a marinized version of this engine?

Post some pictures as we love seeing others projects.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:30 AM   #3
Captain

There are a number of issues with using car engines. One big one is that boats load engines more like a truck towing a trailer uphill all the time, than a car. Car engine cams are not the appropriate timing to run under that kind of load and throttle settings. Automotive gaskets also tend not to hold as well in a raw water cooled environment as they are designed to use coolant.

There are other issues if you are changing blocks. The engine mounts, couplers, and exhaust are different for each engine/drive combination.

Carbs are different for marine engines for safety, and I its efi... I'll bet its a way different computer program.

Ignition, starter, alternator, fuel pumps are all different for marine engines, to keep you from blowing yourself up.

The internet is chock full of stories of people putting corvette engines in boats and then constantly wondering wh they blow them.

In short, stick with a marine engine, and the same block, unless you're really into serious modifications.
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:32 AM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar7r View Post
There are a number of issues with using car engines. One big one is that boats load engines more like a truck towing a trailer uphill all the time, than a car. Car engine cams are not the appropriate timing to run under that kind of load and throttle settings. Automotive gaskets also tend not to hold as well in a raw water cooled environment as they are designed to use coolant.

I know I was more

There are other issues if you are changing blocks. The engine mounts, couplers, and exhaust are different for each engine/drive combination.

Carbs are different for marine engines for safety, and I its efi... I'll bet its a way different computer program.

Ignition, starter, alternator, fuel pumps are all different for marine engines, to keep you from blowing yourself up.

The internet is chock full of stories of people putting corvette engines in boats and then constantly wondering wh they blow them.

In short, stick with a marine engine, and the same block, unless you're really into serious modifications.
I know I was comparing this addiction to cars. Anyone know how big a motor this hull can handle?
suprathepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:36 AM   #5
Captain

There should be a plate in the boat, usually within arms reach of the helm, that states the max hp rating of the hull.
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote