Old 08-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Commander

Default Canvas Snap Tool

I just received my new bimini from Leta's, what is the recommended snaps and tool?

I believe I just have the ones on the radar arch.

oldno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:29 AM   #2
Admiral

http://www.duboisfabrics.com/product...20n%20snap.htm I have ordered from these people and they are great!!!

This is what you need to put the snaps together. Hoover press and snap. Leta will send you some clips that you put on a vise grip to put the snaps together and they will work.........sometime. Every boater should have a press and snap it makes it sooo easy. Also you will need a awl and a hole punch. Leta will give you the snaps.

To make your hole........stretch your fabic out and use the awl to go through the canvas where the snap is going to go. Then make a hole for your snap with the punch, then stick your male end up through the hole . The female end sits on the die on the snap and then you press and you have made a snap.

Go to U-tube and you can see this being done. Just take your time and you will do a great job.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:50 AM   #3
Commander

Thanks a lot Roger, leta's sent me canvas and a rubber material that goes between canvas and arch.

I'll check out youtube.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:32 AM   #4
Commander

Hmmm, I got a new top from Leta's late last summer and they sent me a bag of snaps, an adjustable hole punch tool and the vice grip press along with the vice grips themselves. Wonder why they were not included in yours? Maybe you have to ask for them? I did ask if they were included in the price as a friend had just bought a new top for his Bayliner from them so I kinda had the skinny

I do agree with Roger, having snaps (both sides of it), a good punch tool and a good press is a must have. Also, the vice grip press does work, it can be a pain to line up though so a good one like he mentioned is probably good to have.
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:39 AM   #5
Admiral

Now on the rubber strip get some double sided tape and the hole that you punch from the snap should be in the middle of the rubber strip.........that is if the rubber strip doesn't have tape on it already........

Have fun........we know what your doing this weekend :-)

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
Commander

Thanks guys

I'll see if I can round up the tool and snaps. Don't have time to call Leta's today.

I also ordered zippered pockets and didn't get those.