Old 08-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
Ensign

Default can a 3.0 pull a wakeboarder on an 1800?

I'm considering buying a 1800 sr with a 3.0 Mercruiser 135 hp. I've received conflicting info that this boat can pull a wakeboarder. I'm about 190 lbs and is an intermediate wakeboarder. This boat is primarily used to pull my kids n friends around in a tube though.

Please chime in with your experience.

Novadoo

novadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
Admiral

Default Re: can a 3.0 pull a wakeboarder on an 1800?

you know...first off...welcome to the zoo...second off....if it were me...and I was somewhat serious wake boarder (which I'm not).....I'd really concider a V6 or the V8 5.0ltr engine....yeah...technically it should pull you up....and it's gonna get you great gas usage with the 3.oltr....but supposed you get a guy that is a bit heavier and a boat load of friends...that boat may struggle to get on plane.....
Personal opinion is that i'd pass and find a bigger engine drive combination......

SP :hello:

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
Ensign

Believe me I would get a 6 cyl or 8 but the cost for this particular boat is on budget.. will I be able to pull a tube with 2 adults 3 children (avg. weight ) on board? Some people said no problem while others differs. I really like the boat but don't want to regret buying it. Anyone else with opinions? may be buying it this weekend..

Novadoo
Old 08-14-2009, 12:17 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

Our first boat was a Dynasty 19 ft cubby with a Merc I/O 3.0 ltr 135 hp about 12 years ago. We had little problem pulling slalom skiers and wakeboarders up and out of the water, primarily because a boat that size is relatively light. Would we have pulled up faster with a 5.0 ltr or bigger? Sure, but if you're getting a bargain, then yes, you will most likely be able to pull them up, even if it takes a little longer. Also pulling up a wakeboard is done slowly compared to a slalom skier where you gun it until they're up.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:57 AM   #5
Commander

The quick answer is 'no'. If wakeboarding is your primary activity than look for another boat with more ponies.

If the price is just too good to walk away from and it will be used for other things besides just wakeboarding, then you may be able to tweak it a bit to become a 'puller'. It also depends on who you are pulling. Teenager boys that weigh 130lbs wet or 185lb grown men. Big difference.

Put a stainless steel hi-five 19 pitch prop and with one adult in the bow and no one else in the boat you can probably pull just fine, like I said, it's all who you are pulling.

But again, the quick answer is 'no'. Too many boats...too many bigger engines.
racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:37 AM   #6
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadoo
Believe me I would get a 6 cyl or 8 but the cost for this particular boat is on budget.. will I be able to pull a tube with 2 adults 3 children (avg. weight ) on board? Some people said no problem while others differs. I really like the boat but don't want to regret buying it. Anyone else with opinions? may be buying it this weekend..

Novadoo
Missed this question the first time I scanned this thread. Tubing is extremely less demanding of your engine than wakeboarding. My first boat was a 16' with a 115hp outboard that pulled tubes great! A wakeboarder though starts in the water and is basically like pulling an anchor until they pull themselves out of the water. The boarders experience is key. Wakeboarding is about 50% of what we use our boat for and the people I pull who are experienced boarders know how to pull themselves up practically just as th eboat is coming on plane. I've pulled beginners who don't know that skill yet and they depend on the boat to pull them up which acts like an anchor. My 19 year old daughter and her boy friend have been wakeboarding for a long time and when I hit the throttle, they stand right up, I don't even feel them back there. There are a lot of factors for a small sport boat that pulls people. Remember, these aren't actual wakeboard boats. A real wakeboard boat has a 400hp V8, ~600lbs of ballast and a tower.
racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
Ensign

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it seems I may have to walk away from a really great price and good condition boat. I wakeboard often on a mastercraft so I have a good feel for what a true boat can do. Never been on a 135 hp before so.. thought I'd check around

Cheers,

Novadoo
Old 03-06-2010, 09:04 AM   #8
Lt. JG

I've just purchased a 2002 1800SR. I'm planning to wakeboard, wake looks good, although I haven't been out on it yet. My previous boat was a Fletcher Arrowflyte 14ft 60Hp mercury 2 stroke. I could wakeboard behind it no problem. I'm about 140lbs and I had 3 adults in the boat and full fuel and two batteries. A pro wakeboard boat would be nice, but in the Uk with it being £1.15 per litre (£5.23 per gallon) (exchange $7.93 dollars a gallon!) It simply is just too expensive. Supposedly the 3litre Mercruiser with 135hp is similar fuel economy to my 2stroke! I'm due to fit a wakeboard tower before the summer. I've been towed with a bridle previously. I've been behind mastercraft and tige, they are but a dream!
sdowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #9
Captain

i had a 3.0 1800 sr 3 untill last year....and it worked but the best with an other prop try a high five or a raker..

succes, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadoo View Post
I'm considering buying a 1800 sr with a 3.0 Mercruiser 135 hp. I've received conflicting info that this boat can pull a wakeboarder. I'm about 190 lbs and is an intermediate wakeboarder. This boat is primarily used to pull my kids n friends around in a tube though.

Please chime in with your experience.

Novadoo
If you are asking this Q .. you are new to wakeboarding ... so for learning & fun wakeboarding ... absolutley yes.
esp. if you fit a High Five Prop.

When you get toi the point hat you need to load up Fat sacs and genertae huge wake a Mawxum 1800 is not going to be the boat for this ......... for fun & learning it will be fine.

Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote