Old 05-05-2008, 09:15 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Camper top question

So when we got our 1992 2300 Maxum SCR it came with a winter cover (as I call it) and a camper cover. While trying these out we have a great fit on the winter but the camper cover leads me to wonder about the front piece. When we close the windshield and look to install the zipper / plastic piece that runs from the top of the bimini top to the b top of the windshield there are no snaps or any means to keep the bottom piece attached to anything. I am lead to believe I am missing a piece or something. Fact is there is are no snaps or nothing to adhere to. The side panels are tough to get on completely as well. Everything zips up as it should but this front piece has me guessing. Any insight would help.

Also - still looking for a source to buy the carpet pieces that snap into the floor sections as well.

Scott

Old 05-06-2008, 01:10 AM   #2
Ensign

Send a message via MSN to T.A. Sarles Send a message via Yahoo to T.A. Sarles

Scott,
That indeed is a puzzle. I know that with my 94 2400SCR the Camper set went clear down to the windshield and snaps to it. (right now I am having mine redone with clear vinyl) but yours I believe should have had the snaps and what not on the bottom.
I guess if you know the preivious owner you could always ask how it goes together but other than that I don't know.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:45 AM   #3
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.A. Sarles
Scott,
That indeed is a puzzle. I know that with my 94 2400SCR the Camper set went clear down to the windshield and snaps to it. (right now I am having mine redone with clear vinyl) but yours I believe should have had the snaps and what not on the bottom.
I guess if you know the preivious owner you could always ask how it goes together but other than that I don't know.
Pending the answers to the question that would be the next route to take.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #4

I'm asssuming this is the isinglass that goes form the camper top to the winshield, in essence extending the height of the windshield. The previous owner of my boat purchased new glass, then decided to sell the boat. He gave me the box with the new front and side curtains. This is how they came out of the box. The zipper was in place on the top and sides, but the snaps were in a bag at the bottom of the box. I suspect yours is a similar story.

I hired a canvas to come out and finish the job.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew
I'm asssuming this is the isinglass that goes form the camper top to the winshield, in essence extending the height of the windshield. .
CORRECT

[quote="shrew"] The previous owner of my boat purchased new glass, then decided to sell the boat. He gave me the box with the new front and side curtains. This is how they came out of the box. The zipper was in place on the top and sides, but the snaps were in a bag at the bottom of the box. I suspect yours is a similar story.

I hired a canvas to come out and finish the job

What I find odd about mine is that piece from the windshield to the camper ends/meets at the top of the windshield and has no way to fasten to anything, thus just flaps/hangs there leaving any kind of weather to fall right into the boat - the snaps on the side panels do line up on some areas (near the rear) but not line up as the pieces approach the windshield. I have recently seen other pictures and will look top see if adjusting the bimini top posts will help to achieve proper fit - if I ever get off the road. My camper set looks alot lot many other pictures I have seen of others except for this windshield section/piece. I am wondering if mine has been ripped or broken and I have the remaining section ?? So a question could be is there 2 pieces or a sewn section that could of been ripped apart or torn? Oddly enough it meets right at the windshield with a red material that is tattered with strands of thread which we trimmed off.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #6

If there are no fasteners on the windshield itself, I wonder if there was never a curtain there to begin with, or if the winshield was replaced prior to the sale. I would suspect you could attach them yourself or hire someone to get it done. I'm a big fan of doing it yourself, but I admit I hired someone for this job.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew
If there are no fasteners on the windshield itself, I wonder if there was never a curtain there to begin with, or if the winshield was replaced prior to the sale. I would suspect you could attach them yourself or hire someone to get it done. I'm a big fan of doing it yourself, but I admit I hired someone for this job.
The only fasteners are the snaps at the bottom of the windshield which are used for the "storage" cover. It snaps in place perfectly. To me, it would make sense the same snaps would be used as well. The windshield appears to be original. Most front covers I have seen (via pictures) also have a "cutout" that opens to allow access to the front of the boat. Mine does not but then again I think I only have half the piece.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:08 AM   #8
Lt. JG

Chef,

Could you or shrew post some pictures when you have your tops together? My top snaps to the top of the windshield then there is another vinyl cover that snaps on to cover the bow seats and it snaps to the bottom of the windshield and to the frame of the windshied in the middle. I have never seen a picture with the back and side panels attatched and I was wondering if I could have the back done with bug netting for night fishing.
djsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsxr
Chef,

Could you or shrew post some pictures when you have your tops together? My top snaps to the top of the windshield then there is another vinyl cover that snaps on to cover the bow seats and it snaps to the bottom of the windshield and to the frame of the windshied in the middle. I have never seen a picture with the back and side panels attatched and I was wondering if I could have the back done with bug netting for night fishing.
djsxr,
Sure can. Give me some time since I don't get back home until next week and working on this camper top is high on my list before my next trip. FYI, there is a 1993 Maxum 2300 SCR on ebay - do a search and look at the pictures and it will show those of the boat with the camper top on.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:40 AM   #10
Ensign

Default Re: Camper top question

My snaps on the windshield slide along so adjustments can be made...Maybe if they are moved to much they can get loose and come out or if the windshield was changed they weren't put back??
blackfly721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:46 AM   #11
Ensign

Chef442,

I would assume that you have already figured this out by now since you original post from well over a year ago, but just in case you haven't here is the answer (at least my 1992 2300SCR has this configuration).

The frame for the windshield has slots at the top of each, total of three - one each on left and right side and another in the middle windscreen that opens allowing access to the foredeck. The bottom seam of the clear plastic has a semi-ridgid round piece of plastic sewn in to it that slides in to each of these slots. As far as the snaps on the sides are concerned you can adjust your bimini frame to allow for the fit you need in order to snap these.

r/
Winedown1
winedown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #12
Lt. Commander

Our boat had a lot of snaps that were ripped off of our windshield and sides; we found replacements on Ebay and even snaps at Home Depot. Here's a link of what we bought, and the same seller has the female part. Good to know repairs are made that much easier through the forum and internet.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...T#ht_500wt_976