Old 11-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Cabin Flooring Question

I don't know if you knowr the floor layout in the cabin of an SCR3200, but it is split in two with marine plywood near the galley and carpet closer to the stairs and dinette. I pulled up the carpet, peeled up the padding and pulled up the hardwood, which appeared to be a marine plywood product married up to a piece of 1'4" plywood.

Now I'm left with a, relatively unfinished, fiberglass floor...no noticeable gelcoat finish over the fiberglass, but pretty even across the cabin. I made a template of the total cabin floor using 1/8" plywood and then I went and bought a piece of high quality sanded 1/2" plywood, laid the template over it, marked and cut the 1/2" plywood and dry fit it in the cabin. Everything fit very nicely.

The end result is that I'm going to lay down vinyl wood planks over the 1/2" plywood so that the entire cabin floor has one uniform finish. I know I need to use pressure sensitive vinyl adhesive to attach the vinyl planks to the 1/2" plywood....but...what do I use to adhere the 1/2" underlayment plywood to the fiberglass cabin floor ?

I bought a bunch of tubes of Liquid nails...but now I'm questioning myself as to whether that is the best mastic to use for this job....what do you think?

Thanks,
Jeff

SummerBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #2

I'd be concerned about whether liquid nails would maintain a bond if a lot of flexing of the sole is introduced over a period of time. You could always throw a couple of ss flat head screws to adhere the 2nd subfloor to the first subfloor. You'd need to make sure to pre-drill, then countersink the head of the screws. I'd be concerned that liquid nails would make it impossible to remove the 2nd subfloor in the future. However, a combination of liquid nails and screws would make the floor rock solid and reduce any squeeking.

Just a thought. I installed hardwood floors in the house, but never on a boat.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
Lieutenant

The last portion of hardwood floor that I took up did not have any screws in it, yet it was very rigid. The screw idea worries me, because the water tank runs the length of the cabin directly under the primary subfloor. I'd hate to catch that with a screw. The remainder of the mastic that was visible after the old hardwood floor was pulled up was white and very very slightly spongy. And it appears to have been put down in dollops around the floor, not troweled out evenly across the floor. I am looking into a couple of products by Sika that might work, but someone suggested 5200 which I think is overkill...talk about never being able to remove the upper subfloor again. There has to be a better answer.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Sikaflex 291. Case closed