Old 12-05-2015, 05:17 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Cabin door on 2600SE

Well it's been quite a year, one that surely tested my dedication to boating. We had a string of issues starting with a leaking trim tab, to the engine overheating (causing us to get towed .. twice!), to the engine stalling due to a faulty ICR valve. We just returned from our last boat trip for the season and the engine is finally running well.

We now, though, have a problem with the cabin door. One of the upper slides broke off and the door is out of alignment now. It won't latch so I can't lock it.

It looks to me that to properly repair it, I have to remove the door, which means the big grey helm panel has to be removed, and to get to some of the screws for that I may have to remove some of the windshields. Seems like this isn't going to be easy and may require special tools?

For now I've come up with a quick and dirty workaround where I install a plastic shim behind the top of the door for it to slide against (versus being held in the track by the plastic slide). Not sure how well that's going to work but it's worth a try.

So my question for you guys is: has anyone run into this problem? Is it simpler that it looks to fix the door properly? I can certainly post pictures if that helps.

Thanks in advance! Feel free to move this thread if it's in the wrong place.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:28 PM   #2
Lieutenant

iceman, did you ever resolve this issue?

bmetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:52 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

yes, bmetro, I did for now. I was never able to find out what it would take to replace or repair the door itself, however my workaround seems to do the trick.

I went to the local Tap Plastics and they helped me figure out what kind of plastic would be durable enough to support the weight of the door, but also offer very little friction as a sliding surface. They cut me a piece of that plastic exactly to my specs... all for under $5 I might add. I drilled some holes in the fiberglass behind the top edge of the door and secured the strip of plastic with SS sheetmetal screws. I made sure the screws were countersunk so they didn't interfere with the sliding of the door.

The door would still not latch. I had to shim out the metal catch screwed into the doorframe with a small strip of stainless steel that I got from the local HW store. That did the trick.

It doesn't slide quite as smoothly as it did before, but it's pretty close and good enough for now. I may keep looking into what a proper repair would take but in the meantime we can still use the boat safely.

Thanks for asking!

Tom
Old 07-22-2016, 12:42 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Good! I have the same issue with my 2002 2700SCR. I found the tracks and rollers online, but don't want to remove the helm to replace them. My thought was to cut the broken track as far back as I can, and replace with a new one. the rollers are a different beast. I think I'll wait till it totally breaks before doing so.

Enjoy the season,
Bill.
bmetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 03:54 PM   #5
Ensign

I have a similar problem now & I'm thinking maybe a home-made right angled crosshead screwdriver would get into the awkward screws under the front of the screen so the grey panel can come out without removing the windscreen. I'm going to see if it looks workable next time I'm at the boat. The only other screws would be the windscreen support bars, I dont know exactly how much weight they're holding
Dos Arriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:34 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Well since this is still coming up, I'll give a 2022 update. The "quick and dirty workaround" became my permanent fix. It's worked great for the last 7 years. It actually slides quite smoothly and I've always been able to latch and lock the door. I've never had to look into removing the helm and replacing the slides. So I can without hesitation recommend this approach.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:18 AM   #7
Ensign

Mines similar in that I need to remove the door. The vinyl inside sagged so much that it had snagged on the inner door and both jammed solid. I decided it was more important to have use of both doors than it looking nice from inside so I cut the offending vinyl off. Obviously I'd like to replace the vinyl but it looks like that can only be done with the door removed.
Glad to hear your temporary fix has held up so well, I only realised the post was so old after I replied!

Dos Arriba is offline   Reply With Quote