Old 10-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Buying a 2000 maxum sr2100

Ok I'm new to this so bear with me, I'm looking at buy a sr2100 with a 5.0 v8 mercury inboard/outboard motor, the boat as been ran only in saltwater and as I've been talking to the owners there as already been some expensive repairs, I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the prices of replacing some of the the mechanical parts ( motor, bilge pump, water pump...etc) also looking for any advice that could be helpful thanks a lot!

Greenboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:24 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

An engine will cost around $5000-$7000

Bilge pump depending if float as well will be $100

Not sure what water pump you are refering to; raw water pump, circulating pump, or freshwater pump.

Have you done a sea trial? An engine survey or oil analysis is recommended. Check for signs of water in the gear lube by draining a small amount for the bottom plug.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:52 PM   #3
Ensign

still learning some of this stuff, not done a sea trial but motor was started earlier this week, the repairs I mentioned was on the gimbal bearing and steering cables as well as I guess steering cylinders and a u-joint on the lower outboard unit, trying to decide if the drive I have to make to see the boat and if any later problems are worth the time, thanks for the info
Old 10-29-2016, 03:04 PM   #4
Admiral

With a buyers market out there greenboater why is this boat so special for you? With all that you have described I would be running away from this boat. They are plenty of boats out that have been taken care of better than this 2100. Imho.... then the fact it sounds like you are a novice in the boating world, we all started there, I would try to be mentored by someone in the know, why you are here, and ģo from there.

Good luck

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:08 PM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenboater View Post
still learning some of this stuff, not done a sea trial but motor was started earlier this week, the repairs I mentioned was on the gimbal bearing and steering cables as well as I guess steering cylinders and a u-joint on the lower outboard unit, trying to decide if the drive I have to make to see the boat and if any later problems are worth the time, thanks for the info

Gimbal bearing, u-joints, bellows, trim cylinders are normal fir any boat this age.

I was assuming you wanted to know worst case when you asked about engine costs. How many hours are on the engine?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:49 PM   #6
Ensign

Was wondering about worst case, motor doesn't have an hour meter but it's one owner, hours are thought to be between 600-700 hours.