Old 12-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Button on Commandor 3000 shifter won’t pop-off

2000 2800scr owner with a stiff shifter. The big problem that’s preventing me from removing the shifter is that the stupid shift release button will not pop out. Anyone out there have a suggestion? I’m afraid I’ll break-of the button if I pry any harder.
I’m trying to troubleshoot (in layup) the remote shifter - I’m thinking of removing it for 2 reasons: 1. I want to lubricate the mechanism - it’s not unreasonably stiff and I can live with it for a while but a little grease might help. 2. I want access to the area behind the shifter to run a Lowrance transducer cable up to the helm.
Thanks for any suggestions
George

George K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:59 PM   #2

I upgraded my shifter when I replaced my cables. If I recall, I ended up breaking the button in the process. That is not the proper way to remove it, but I didn't care.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:25 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Default Button on 3000

Thanks shrew,
Since your reply - and some winter down time, I went at it again and successfully got the stupid button off - had to push the shift lever slightly forward, push the button in - then out, and off she came
Thanks again
Old 12-11-2018, 03:52 PM   #4
Admiral

It may not be the shifter but instead either the shift or throttle cable that are bad. These are more commonly the issue. In the throttle only mode did it get easier to move, if so the shift cable is bad. Also does disconnecting the cables back at the engine make a difference?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Mike,
No doubt it’s the cable. But I can probably get another year or 2 out of it given it’s not overly stiff. It’s original and never been off.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #6
Lt. JG

But... further to your questions regarding cable integrity, I will test out the throttle only movement against in-gear stiffness once the water around here in Canada isn’t so cold and hard.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:46 PM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by George K View Post
Mike,
No doubt it’s the cable. But I can probably get another year or 2 out of it given it’s not overly stiff. It’s original and never been off.
George why wait? Do yourself a favor and do it before next season, you’ll truly appreciate the ease of operation.

Hard water! Don’t you hate it unless it’s in a summer drink.

Mike
Old 12-12-2018, 11:08 AM   #8
Lt. JG

Mike,
I’m looking-up prices for those cables. I’m not seeing much under $200 but I think you’re right - being towed back to shore is embarrassing.
I typically do most of the work myself - it’s kind of fun get the satisfaction of completing a task that would otherwise cost a small fortune in mechanic costs. Thanks for your tip.
George
Old 12-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #9
Admiral

"being towed back to shore is embarrassing"

and very costly. Besides you want to maximize your pleasure of owing the boat so why put up with simple to fix issues. Not that pulling cables is necessary simple.

Mike
Old 12-12-2018, 12:48 PM   #10

It's rarely the shifter. It's almost always the cable. When I did mine, I had two problems. The shifter lock was giving me trouble at the time, so once in neutral I had to fiddle with the shifter lock and wiggle the shifter back and forth to get from neutral to into gear. This made docking frustrating. The other was the shifter was extremely stiff, which turned out to be the cables.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote