Old 03-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Bolster Buddy

So let me preface this with stating that I have a 97 3000, I prefer to stand while underway, and as much as I love my boat, it's the worst driving position ever.

I've been looking for a solution that doesn't require me replacing the helm seats and the only thing I've found is the bolster buddy.

Before I drop the money I was wondering if anybody else has used this or, even better, has a different suggestion. I'm sure I'm not the only 3000 owner out there doesn't want to cling to the windshield while standing underway!

RxPad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:05 PM   #2
Admiral

It's more of a boaster seat than a bolster as you are sitting higher and not standing. for those of us who prefer to stand but have bad, backs, knees,... this seems like a good solution.

You can try sitting on a few type IV PFDs if you have them to see if you like the position before spending the money.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:04 PM   #3
Admiral

Rxpad... I have a 01 3000 and either I stand up or sit down. I should say I am 5 10 in height. I also have a fender basket in my line of sight so when there is a lot of traffic I stand up. Now I have a bolster flip up that is designed into the bottom seat that I have used sparely. It puts me at an awkward angle so I don't use it much. You must not have this?

So I looked at the bolster that overton sells and without looking at your helm seat, how tall you are etc etc.....it's a crap shoot ! Overton's always been good about returns so give it a shot. Me personally I find it safer just to stand up....let us know the outcome of all this.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:41 PM   #4
Lt. JG

Hmm. Perhaps we have different helm seats? Unless mine flips up and I just haven't discovered it yet.

I'm only 5'9". Seeing over out the front isn't necessarily an issue. I'd mostly just like to be able to lean against something when I'm standing.

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 03-21-2017, 07:49 PM   #5
Admiral

Rxpad your seat is not like mine. Where that piping is on yours is where mine flops up to be bolster like.

Go figure! I wonder if you find a 01 seat to switch with yours?

Roger
Old 03-21-2017, 08:26 PM   #6
Lt. JG

Roger,

I've looked at so many online and had convinced myself there were no differences. I guess we found one! Replacing with the 01 seat would be totally ideal but finding OEM parts for these can be on par with finding the lost ark! How's about you sell me yours?!
Old 03-21-2017, 11:31 PM   #7
Admiral

Rxpad....I wonder who made these for Maxum and see if they would make one for you. Boy I could make a lot of money off this seat lol! Try Boat Outfitters

Good luck

Roger
Old 03-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #8
Lt. JG

You could always convert yours if you do not find one. My last boat, I took the seat apart and cut the front off and made it a bolster. Added arms on either side for the hinge and done! I was able to do my own sewing and such so I saved money not having to have someone do it for me.

I'll see if I can dig up the pictures. Found em. Check my gallery for more of my work I did on my entire boat. lol

arichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:15 PM   #9
Lt. JG

Very impressive Richard! I'm afraid my skills are nowhere near yours.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:28 PM   #10
Captain

Roger, can you show us a pic of your seat?

Im 5'11", and when I stand at the helm, my hair rubs on the canvas. I actually have to slouch a little to stand there. I agree, it's not a perfect helm for standing.

I find it helps a lot to tilt the wheel all the way up when im standing, and drive it like a bus.
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:11 PM   #11
Admiral

Sure can but.......I'm a couple hours away from my boat........and Saturday I'm gone for a week for some Destin , Florida R&R. When i get back as soon as I can get down there to start my spring put my boat in my slip program, I'll get a picture.

Roger
Old 03-27-2017, 06:21 AM   #12

I stood while running for years. It took me a long time to realize there really is no point to it. If you force yourself to sit down, you'll get used to it after a while. Now I only stand to dock.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:29 AM   #13
Ensign

Default 2004 2700se Bolster Seat

I have a 2004 2700se and and having a hard time installing bolster. Previous owner had taken it off. Seems impossible to get under helm seat. How do you remove helm seat?
Attached Thumbnails
captains seat.jpg  

ckeinz63 is offline   Reply With Quote