Old 05-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Admiral

Default boating season has started - waxing has begun

yesterday was one of the few weekends so far that has been gorgeous....weather was nearly 65 degs..sunny....and I got to the boat a bit after noon...which allowed me to get started on the great process of waxing...
now..for the 28ft maxum we had...it was a whole day to do the whole boat....well..it took me a whole afternoon just to do from the bottom paint to the belt line on the port side of a 35ft bayliner.........today after I wash the dogs and grab a shower...I'll start on the stbd side....man...even with buffers and all...it's a friggin all day job just to do the lower half of the boat...then hopefully next weekend I can tackle the above the belt line waxing job...
my back is killing me...but at least I don't feel so alone...my dock neighbors were out doing the same thing on his maxum....

hope everyone is having a great weekend...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:57 AM   #2
Lt. JG

Look on the bright side. Nothing beats messing around on boats even if you are working on them. Having said that, waxing a boat especially a dark hulled but isn't a lot of fun. That's why I always avoid dark hulled boats. Besides, dark hulled boats show more scratches and dock arrivals than light skinned boats. I waxed my hull before I put it into the water and the topsides soon after. I still have a quarterpanel to do but I will have to turn the boat around in it's slip to reach that area. I hope to get to it this week. I wanted to do it before opening day but the weather didn't cooperate.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:16 AM   #3
Admiral

yep...dark hulled boats are nice but like you said...they show dock rashes...I got a few already...I did manage to rub a bunch out...but some are dep enough to show until I can get them repaired...with that said...I've finished waxing ..now all I have is topsides..I'll do that when I'm on the docks.....she's done and looks good if I do say so myself....weather has been a bit tough this past few weeks..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 05-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

I can soooooo relate, as waxing the boat is exactly what I spent the vast majority of my weekend doing.

It sucked - and boy do my shoulders hurt!

I don't think this boat has ever been waxed (it's an '04) so, as a result, the finish was a bit oxidized and required the application of rubbing compound 1st to bring the shine back to the gelcoat. Which took all of Saturday. With a DA polisher. On the trailer, in my driveway. Followed up on Sunday with wax, and scrubbing the deck and what little I could reach in the bilge, as well as the port and starboard (almost useless) storage compartments that flank the engine compartment (the battery used to live in far recesses of the port compartment).

The tub looks much better but I sure don't want to do THAT again any time soon.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #5

I'm with you Dan, I used to lug that buffer around for days only to get a reasonable gloss on my cruiser. I went this year with the Poliglow system, and I LOVE IT! the Gloss is measured with a gloss meter around three times more shiny than buffing and waxing. check out the results..... I think they speak for themselves. The best part is you NEVER have to buff and wax again. Simply apply a yearly maintenance coat. I get compliments all the time at the dock in people asking me what I did or use. The Stuff works as advertised plain and simple. I will never wax again. YES!!!! Here’s the ws, http://www.poliglow-int.com/

Bella Sera
Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
Admiral

Looks good Bella.

Now that I've gotten the oxidation off I am hoping that regular maintenance will be minimal. I still do need to find an effective way of cleaning the non-slip sections though, haven't quite figured out what to use in those areas. Thankfully those areas are limitied to the foredeck and the swim platform.

Dan
Old 05-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #7

Thanks Dan, Ya know the non skid is really where the Poliglow solves a BIG problem. Believe it or not as far as the non skid areas (I have raised diamond pattern) you simply Roll the sealant on with a mini short nap roller. If you look in the last picture you can see the reflection of the hailing port in the diamond pattern, thats glossy. These pics really don't do the shine justice but all in all it is a GODSEND to have solved one of pleasure boaters greatest angst's not to mention the time and money of buffing and waxing! I researched this stuff on other boating websites (its been around for 15 years) and the vast majority rave about Poliglow and now here I am doing it. SP would love it on his dark sides, It really shows the glosss even better then on dark colored gelcoat. As far as repairs for scuffs an the like; no problem, one swipe of sealant with their special applicator and viola! GONE and the touch up is NOT detectable.

The wax may seem acceptable now that the HARD work is done but consider that it will have to be done again and again and again........make it STOP!!!! The secret to Poliglow is that you are not removing material from your boat then sealing it, Poliglow adds material and depth to the finish increasing the thickness of the barrier to the elements (and did I mention that it has U/V inhibitors in it too? Damn good stuff this is.

Bella Sera
Old 05-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
Admiral

I am intrigued.

I have the same non-skid pattern as you do Bella. Still not sure I understand how this stuff would work on an oxidized surface. May have to look into it.

Dan
Old 05-11-2010, 01:23 AM   #9

Cool Wax on... wax off ....NO MORE!

Well, dealing with the oxidation on the diamond pattern is not a problem, but there is particular order to the process of applying the poliglow system. They have two different products that make it very easy to remove stains and oxidation. The real secret to the ultimate success is proper preperation and cleaning of the boat gelcoat surface before applying the sealant. I suggest that you go to the website and view the demonstation video. it you don't do it this year, I would then put it on the list for next years spring prep. Definitely worth looking into though.

Bella Sera
Old 05-11-2010, 01:49 AM   #10
Admiral

Bella...you should be in sales or get a commission for this stuff....I think I'll order some before the summer is over...thanks for the info..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 05-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #11

Cool Happiness is.....

Hey Thanks SP, I look at it this way, this stuff has impressed me so much (or I hated buffing and waxing so much?!)that it sells itself like like a drowning man buying a life jacket! The only draw back to the correct application of Poliglow is that (OH NO! here it comes....) all the wax, must be removed from the boat surface to be treated (so that the sealant can penetrate and seal the gelcoat), There, I said it. But, the system chemicals make it a breeze to remove it. So the next time you need to Wax, Don't, make the switch, you won't regret it. SP you would need two kits to do your entire boat top to bottom. Then a just a fraction to maintain year to year. I feel Proud to lead the REVOLT against BUFFING AND WAXING!! Free at last, free at last, thank God al'mighty, I'm FREE AT LAST!!!!!!!

Bella Sera
Old 05-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #12
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella sera 3300scr View Post
hey thanks sp, i look at it this way, this stuff has impressed me so much (or i hated buffing and waxing so much?!)that it sells itself like like a drowning man buying a life jacket! The only draw back to the correct application of poliglow is that (oh no! Here it comes....) all the wax, must be removed from the boat surface to be treated (so that the sealant can penetrate and seal the gelcoat), there, i said it. But, the system chemicals make it a breeze to remove it. So the next time you need to wax, don't, make the switch, you won't regret it. Sp you would need two kits to do your entire boat top to bottom. Then a just a fraction to maintain year to year. I feel proud to lead the revolt against buffing and waxing!! Free at last, free at last, thank god al'mighty, i'm free at last!!!!!!!

Bella sera
amen....halleluja........(looks good stuff to me, me do looky looky in holland if i can get it here)

greatz , ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #13
Lt. Commander

wow Bella! Looks like a new boat. I just paid $450 to have mine buffed and waxed and while its clean, it really doesn’t shine.
Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #14

Cool

Thanks Cymru, Using poliglow has changed my entire outlook on gelcoat maintenance. I look forward to turning a few people on to it because it really is the answer. Plus my boat never shined this good even when it was new. Like I said before too, NOTHING sticks to it, plus soap and water won't wash it off. The people at Poliglow are VERY helpfull too. If I had a question by e-mail they were very prompt in answering. I even phoned them and they took my tech call instantly. A pleasure to spend my hard earned $ with. Your 2900SCR would beam with it I tell ya!

Bella Sera

P.S. I forgot to mention that this stuff is GUARANTEED for 1 year too, If you are disatisfied for any reason they will refund the purchase price. Now how much better can that get???
Old 05-12-2010, 02:30 AM   #15
Lt. Commander

As said, Bella - you really should be getting commission here... I'm considering the switch too. Very interesting. Thanks for the info!

Between work, the house and my wife going back to college, there's hasn't been too much free time the past months. I pulled the boat out of storage late last week and rolled up the sleeves. I'm sore in ways I had forgotten I every could be and there's more to do.

With so little time, and after the follies of trailering last year, we've opted to put our boat in dry moorage just 10 minutes from the house. While a bit more money, I'm hoping we can spend much more quality time on the water this summer. Stopping by the boat on the way home from work seems to be a pretty decent way to depressurize too.

Have a great season everybody!

Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:12 AM   #16
Admiral

Nim...where are you at??...I'm at dagmars landing..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 05-12-2010, 04:47 AM   #17
Lt. Commander

Yeah, we're at Dags too. I think we lucked out and are on the water side of the street near the entrance.

Any tips on the return trip to the docs? The river was ripping on Sunday night when we splashed her. Looks like it could be a little hairy in our little boat on approach.

I hope to meet ya. If you need any help, please give a holler!

Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #18

Cool Thanks Nimh, few things excite me like not having to pick up that GD Polisher Again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
As said, Bella - you really should be getting commission here... I'm considering the switch too. Very interesting. Thanks for the info!

Between work, the house and my wife going back to college, there's hasn't been too much free time the past months. I pulled the boat out of storage late last week and rolled up the sleeves. I'm sore in ways I had forgotten I every could be and there's more to do.

With so little time, and after the follies of trailering last year, we've opted to put our boat in dry moorage just 10 minutes from the house. While a bit more money, I'm hoping we can spend much more quality time on the water this summer. Stopping by the boat on the way home from work seems to be a pretty decent way to depressurize too.

Have a great season everybody!
You with your 2400 could get away with one kit From PG. I wish I was gettin a little sum sum from the makers cuz the stuff sells itself when you see it demonstrated. Keep in mind if you decide to apply the system at the dry storage, you will need water from a garden hose to flush the disolved wax off with. Have a great season everybody!! (hopefully not waxing)

Bella Sera
Old 05-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #19
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
Yeah, we're at Dags too. I think we lucked out and are on the water side of the street near the entrance.

Any tips on the return trip to the docs? The river was ripping on Sunday night when we splashed her. Looks like it could be a little hairy in our little boat on approach.

I hope to meet ya. If you need any help, please give a holler!

great!!....we're in K10 really close to the river.....same goes to you guys.....man...the river is a treat to get into...I know you know the best time is during slack tide...but what I do is if the river is running...slow to a crawl when up at the ramps....then just as you get at the mouth of the lane...turn towards the first ramp lane..once into the lane there is no current....so..you need to cut the throttle and aim for the ramp..then there is always the practice practice practice.....we're heading out on friday...not sure where but we're on our way out for sure...hope to see you and your more than welcome to join us at anytime.....we have reservations at roche harbor for memorial weekend...if your interested in that run...im me and I'll give you the information ..you can tag on to my reservations....
4th of july is blakely island marina in the SJ's...that is a great place to stay...
SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 05-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #20
Commander

This Poliglow seems too good to be totally true. The pictures look fantastic, and waxing is the last thing I want to do, but there has to be a catch to the poliglow. Maybe my skepticism has the best of me. Why the need to use a "stripper" to remove the poliglow. I understand it acts like a varnish, but can anyone speak to this? After 12 months of a wonderful shine, then what? Is this when the stripping agent is needed in order to apply a new coating? What does this involve?
I cannot find too many reviews on this other than what I have read in this forum. I really hope this stuff is all that it is suppose to be, because I really want to order it.

rgreenwell8962 is offline   Reply With Quote