Old 02-05-2014, 01:18 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default boating in the Phoenix AZ area?

Has anyone boated in the Lakes around the Phoenix area? lake Pleasant, Roosevelt, Apache, etc....
may be relocating to the area. any info greatly appreciated.
thx.

katsal2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:46 AM   #2
Captain

Katsal,I have not actually been on any of those lakes. Lots more water on the Colorado river.....Powell,mead,Mohave, and finally havasu..... What size of boat?

Old 02-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
Admiral

I live in Scottsdale and use to boat on all those lakes until I bought a cruiser. Now I keep it on Powell.

Pleasant is the most accessible lake for a cruiser but it's very over crowded and the wind can be bad. Also there really are not many beaches for staying overnight.

Bartlett is the best for overnight beaching but is tight and steep road to get in to it.

Roosevelt is wide open and easy access but I have not been there in years. It's a 2 hour trip to get on the water so for me it's better to add another couple hours and go to Powell.

Apache is only accessible from the north end if towing anything over a bass boat due to the steep dirt roads especially coming down Fish Creek Hill since it is barely wide enough to pass in most spots.

Saguaro- amateur hour for drunks since it's so close to town. Not much overnight beaches available either.

I grew up boating on all the local lakes with open bow boats but once I moved up to a cruiser they have lost their appeal to me.

Where do you plan to live if you relocate here?

If I wanted to boat local with a cruiser I'd store it at Bartlett. It really is the nicest lake close to town.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote