Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-18-2016, 04:37 AM   #1
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 7
Default Best Way to Combat Rocking and Swaying?

Hi everyone,

Excuse my ignorance here as while I have experience operating powerboats, I'm new to the scene in terms of ownership.

I recently just purchased an 02 Scr 2400 which is a 25 footer. I have her slipped over at Marina Del Rey, CA. Over the weekend I took her out on her maiden voyage mid-day and, while the weather report only showed 2 feet waves or less, I found conditions VERY choppy to the point where as soon as I hit over 20 knots, water would fly into the helm area. The plan was to find a good spot, turn off the engine, and just relax and have lunch. Well, this proved to be pretty much impossible because as soon as we weren't moving, the boat would rock so hard it damn well felt it could cap size in either direction. Needless to say, all 3 of us started to become sea sick pretty quickly and we headed back to the harbor.

My question is, is this amount of rockiness and swaying on the boat to be expected even in the best conditions, or was it simply due to the choppy conditions we experienced at the time? At what size in the boat does cruising and being stationary become reasonable? Should I have opted for a 30 footer?

Again, sorry for my ignorance is this is pretty basic, but the plan is to take this baby out on the weekends and enjoy the sea, but we barely lasted 20 minutes out there before having to turn back and hoping this is not the norm.

Thanks!
__________________

cphil19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:21 PM   #2
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perry Hall, Maryland
Posts: 5,470
Default

Have you spoken with other boaters in your area to see if the seas you experienced are normal?

2 foot swells in the ocean sound normal but what was the period between crests?

I don't think a 30 footer would have met your expectations either under these conditions.

Think of it this way your beam is 8'6" and a wave starts raising one side before the other so the incline of a 1 foot wave may result in a 6" slope. A 30' boat has about a 10' beam.
__________________

__________________
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #3
Captain
 
Kevlar7r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 742
Default

You may want to invest in a sea anchor. This will keep your bow pointed into the waves.

With out a sea anchor you drift sideways to the waves and rock.

I usually keep my engine running and idle into the wind/seas when off shore.

The fore/aft pitch is much less than the rocking because you are on the boats long axis, and the bow can cut through the wave.
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:05 PM   #4
Moderator

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,620
Default

I don't know anyone who stops in open water to hang out and eat. fisherman drift fish this way. most people find a nice anchorage.
__________________
Shhhhhh!!! Please lower your voice, the boat is sleeping.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:07 PM   #5
Captain
 
Kevlar7r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 742
Default

Now you know 2.
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:39 PM   #6
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Have you spoken with other boaters in your area to see if the seas you experienced are normal?

2 foot swells in the ocean sound normal but what was the period between crests?

I don't think a 30 footer would have met your expectations either under these conditions.

Think of it this way your beam is 8'6" and a wave starts raising one side before the other so the incline of a 1 foot wave may result in a 6" slope. A 30' boat has about a 10' beam.
Thanks for the reply.

Again, excuse my ignorance, but I thought resistance against the waves had less to do with the beam and more with the deadrise angle of the hull, where a higher angle meant more resistance against the waves?
cphil19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:43 PM   #7
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar7r View Post
You may want to invest in a sea anchor. This will keep your bow pointed into the waves.

With out a sea anchor you drift sideways to the waves and rock.

I usually keep my engine running and idle into the wind/seas when off shore.

The fore/aft pitch is much less than the rocking because you are on the boats long axis, and the bow can cut through the wave.
Thanks. Are these the parachute types?
cphil19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:55 PM   #8
Admiral
 
mmwjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perry Hall, Maryland
Posts: 5,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphil19 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Again, excuse my ignorance, but I thought resistance against the waves had less to do with the beam and more with the deadrise angle of the hull, where a higher angle meant more resistance against the waves?

That's for cutting through the water.

As a wave approaches a boat it starts lifting the side it first comes in contact with up to the max wave height. The width of the wave and wave period all come into play.

Try jacking on side of your car up and you will expierenced the same thing.

What Kev suggest will keep the bow into the waves but I doubt you'll get the results you're looking for.

I suggest you find a calm cove for sitting and relaxing.
__________________
Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:27 PM   #9
Commander
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 432
Default

Someone else started a very similar post a month or two about the sea conditions off Southern California. You probably have to go farther out before the chop turns into a longer swell. Pick a day that's not as windy. And even in my 3200, one foot waves will rock it pretty well when drifting. Don't know if such a forecast exists there, but try for a day when the marine radio says "seas one foot or less".
__________________

speedysprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.