Old 09-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Beaching

Many of the lakes here in Eastern WA allow boaters to beach their boat for swimming/camping etc. I do this using extreme caution, IE.. killing the motor/raising the prop well before I hit the beach, using only sand/clay beaches (no gravel), pushing off and drifting well out from shore prior to restrarting the motor, and ensuring the boat stays straight while beached (so as not to be turned/drifting parallel to the shoreline.) While this is an option we have, cant say as I would want to beach anything over 21' or so (not that you'd really need to) it makes a day/weekend on the lake much more enjoyable (we have a 4yr/2yr old and are expecting a 3rd in the spring. Is there anything I really should be careful of when doing this? I admit, the initial thought of running my boat aground on purpose made no sense at all. What do you think of this practice?

(2003 Maxum 1750SR)

Old 09-25-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
Admiral

hi Fly...
well..beaching is done often in Fla....although the sand and mud will do minimal damage to the bow and hull...eventually it will do some wear to the gel coat....
what alot of folks that beach do is to get a bow protector installed....it's a strip of rubber that glues to the bow peak of the hull..protects against damage to rocks and sand and such....

enjoy...and congrats on the coming new crew member..

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:25 AM   #3
Commander

Like SP said you really should have one of these: http://www.keelguard.com/

I do it all the time. The kids hop off and go for a hike or fish from the shore.

MMSI# 338052622
tglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:07 AM   #4
Admiral

KEELGUARD!!!....I was at work answering this and for the life of me ...I couldn't remember the friggin name!!....

geez....I hate getting old......memory is the second thing that goes...I don't remember the first....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
Lt. JG

I see a lot of folks around here use a carpet runner. Have someone jump out and throw it down than drive up. Works well and protects. Only problem is when you go. It's wet and heavy.
the19hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:36 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

Location: Commuting weekly from South Central Idaho. Got Water?

Keelguard. Down on the 'Roos' where you boat, there is lots of sand and clay. Watch out for the hidden granite and basalt though. What may look like a lump of clay (my daughter just loves that stuff!!) is sometimes deceiving. A buddy's nice Sea Ray needed some repairs after a 'routine' beaching. Now has KeelGuard. It's a must for beaching on the other lakes in the area. Those have small 'glacial' pebbles (smooth) that you can beach on as well.

Now you have your winter project.

"If you look like your passport photo, you probably need the trip"
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #7
Ensign

I frequently beached my previous 25 footer. If you are sure you are on sand, progressivly lift your drive as the water gets shallower and GENTLY idle in to a few feet of water, kill the engine and coast the rest of the way, pull the bow up and then if in a tidal area keep a close watch on the tide and wind. If you are leaving the area for any length of time, it wouldn't hurt to tie the boat or set the anchor in the sand. As far as protecting the bottom, most of the time all that is going to happen is that you will clean off the scuzzy stuff on the bottom, if the boat is normally kept in the water. Otherwise you can always lift the bow as you beach the boat either by moving people to the stern or jump out and lift the bow a bit.

CWERICB is offline   Reply With Quote