Old 09-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Battery Configuration on 3000 SCR

Good Day to all
This is my 1st post. I'm sure there will be many more. I have recently retired from the Navy (30 years). I am now employed as a Docking Officer taking ships and submarines out of the water for the Navy. I have just purchased a 1999 3000SCR. This is my 1st boat. I put it in the water last week and have been out a couple of times. I live on the East Coast of Canada so my season will not last much longer. I have been reading the forum for the last month and have seen many helpful pointers. I have sorted a few minor issues already; defective switches for the macerator, switch configuration for the windlass(will only run on Engine switch position 1), lack of sea water to the head, I am still sorting out the backflow of black water into the toilet (joker valve, correct).
And now I have a question that pertains to proper battery configuration. The boat has twin 220 Mercruisers and 2 batteries. Two, four position battery switches (house and Engine). The switches can be set to 1,2, both, and off. I have a battery charger running off shore power. Both leads from the battery charger are connected to only 1 battery. Both leads from the stbd engine alternator are only connected to the other battery. Is this correct.
Another question also pertaining to the batteries. My house load will only run on selector 1 (house switch). I can start both engines on selector 1 (Eng switch), the stbd eng can start on selector 2, the port engine will not start on selector 2. I haven't had time yet to trace the cable runs and look at the back of the switches to see exactly how things are connected. As I see it, if I am at anchor and running down my house battery (#1) I may not be able to start my port engine. Does all of this sound normal.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
Admiral

DD...welcome to the zoo..I'm an ex submarine/surface combat ship electrical design engineer....spent 17 yrs design integrating electrical systems into the boats......everything from radar/sonar/fire control/ic/lighting etc....it was fun but now I'm working on the 787 dreamliner....boeing commercial aircraft..been working here going on 10 yrs...
nice to have you aboard....atleast I can say submarine and not get a blank reply ....haha.....

actually your set up sounds like there is something miswired somewhere....house batt's are supposed to be #2...the batt charger should be wired to charge both banks.....alt. on engine #1 should charge batt #1 ...so atleast you get a good starting batt.....for 2 engines you should have 2 sets of batts....2 house..2 start....that's what I've seen alot of .....so..might want to verify that configuration.......house load should be able to run off either batt. 1 or 2....or both...
when at anchor....run the house batts on #2...only..then switch to batt. 1 for starting...

your head problem sounds definitely like the joker valve..however....a new complete head with pump is only about 120 bucks...I think the kit runs about 60 bucks....might wanna investigate that part....

hope this helps....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
Lieutenant

Thanks sp,
I was out last night for a couple of hours, and I add another mistery to my battery config. I started both engines on position 1, when I switched the selector to position 2, the stbd eng died. I plan on tracing the cable run to see exactly what I have. Hopefully I will get it figured out before I take her out of the water.
From my 1st post, should the alternator (stbd eng) wires run to both batteries or just the starting battery, both leads run to the battery
On another matter, I went to check my trim tab operation last night and noticed that both switches at the helm seem to operate the port tab. The port switch fully operates the port tab, there is noise coming from the port tab when I depress the stbd switch, but it doesn't move. Nothing happens to the stbd tab when I depress the stbd switch (maybe the switch ???). I haven't been going fast enough to need the tabs yet (I'm still taking it easy)
Old 09-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

Welcome dubble dippin with regards to tabs the port switch operates starboard tab and viceversa dont ask me why some one did explain but i forgot

regds ash
Old 09-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
JD
Lt. JG

Welcome double dippin. I'm not sure about the connections but I will be looking at mine today.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:23 PM   #6
Lieutenant

I came across a web page that had a layout for 2 batteries, 2 switches and 2 alternators. when I look at it it makes total sense. I've had a quick look at my setup, and from what I can see, (I have to cut an access panel behind the switches) it is nothing like that. There is only 1 jumper between the switches and it is located between the top connectors of the switches instead of having two of them connected between the battery terminals on the switches. I'm not sure how to insert a schematic on here but if someone could have a look at the web page I've inserted to see if this is correct it would be much appreciated. As I said, I haven't had time to fully trace out the lines but so far this schematic explains a lot. The web page is http://www.cmsquick.com/schematic-2.gif [img] another question in regards to this set, my setup has 2 wires going straight from 1 engine to #1 battery, Can I charge both my batteries with one of the alternator

Old 09-17-2008, 10:41 PM   #7
Admiral

that's the set up alright...but as for charging both...not sure the alt. will handle that large a load if one batt is totally depleted....that's another thing....don't let the batt's get too low or it won't recover.....they will never charge totally once depleted...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:04 PM   #8
Lieutenant

SP
Thanks for the confirmation, it took a while to find something, I'm a visual guy. I have two engines, can I charge each battery from their respective alternators as shown on the schematic

DD
Old 09-18-2008, 01:14 AM   #9
Commander

MMSI# 338052622
tglee is offline   Reply With Quote