Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-26-2008, 03:45 AM   #1
Admiral

Default bad day today!!..

man...I had a really bad day today!!..
today is my friday off...so...after my morning tea and breakfast..I grabbed my shower and headed out...my car was empty so stopped by the car wash and filled the tank and a car wash...
then headed out to grab lunch and meet my wife at her office...got done with that..she went back to work and I headed off to my favorite store!!...Harbor Freight...needed a few things and then stopped off at my second favorite store...harbor marine...got a few things there...then west marine.....finally ending up at the boat!!...
this is where it gets ugly.....now the temps today was about 41 or so..the boat had been in direct sunshine and I have one of those dryers on in the engine bay...my idea??..stick the boat in the water cuz the marina turned off the water at my spot...I flagged the forklift driver down and he picked my boat up and set it in the launch ramp...since there was no traffic ..I told the guy I was gonna run the engine and excersize the genny....we hadn't ran the boat since november...well...started the genny and then got ready to start the engine....as I started it I heard the belts squeel for a second and then the engine caught and ran smooth albiet smokey....then I went down to put a load on the genny after checking the engine gauges...temp/oil/amps...everything seemed fine and went down to the salon to put a heater on...suddenly I hear every alarm in the world going off...I reached up really fast and turned the engine off......after checking the oil..drive oil...water ...I turned the key back on and the temp was at 200 and falling....so...called the mechanic at oly...about the only guy I'll let work on the boat...we surmised that there was probably some ice in the raw water pump ...it sheered the blades on the impeller and the engine got hot...in the mean time...we think the flapper valves are toast....the fun part is since my boat is dry stored...they have to take it to the shop via a trailer...which I don't have....they'll come get it and then do the work...but I have to wait till after the boat show going on right now!...DAMN!!!....it's gonna cost me atleast a full boat buck...maybe 2.....I'm not a happy camper today!... arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

why cant you fix it?.its not hard to do. :wink:

Old 01-27-2008, 04:05 AM   #3
Admiral

Hi Gezy....well...one it still might be covered under warranty...and 2...I have a guy that is absolutely the only guy I'll let work on it...he knows more about it than I do...the Y tube is a bit out of my leaque....
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 01-27-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

ok

i did it on mine that Y tube .if you was to undo the 4 clips on the rubber pipe.then take the rubber pipe off.you can see that part you are on about.

let us know how you get on :wink:
Old 01-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider

Have you checked the impeller at all yet? Or just going to let him do it?
Old 01-30-2008, 02:01 AM   #6
Admiral

the weather has been so lowsy and cold here this past weekend that I haven't had a chance to get to the boat..i still have to go and unload anything of value before they take it and shut the pwr off on the batt' switch....
so...no ...haven't been to the boat to check the impeller...so..we're gonna let them do the work.....I'm waiting for the boat show in seattle to end so they can make a trailer available to pick the boat up........
I'll let you know how it goes....
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 01-31-2008, 11:28 PM   #7
Admiral

well...hopefully all will work out...the plan is that a fellow boater is kind enough to lend me his trailer and take my boat down to the dealer for repair....he's going to use my slip in my place while my boat is down at the dealership..saturday morning we're gonna float his boat off the trailer...my boat on the trailer..and then drive it south to the dealer....it should take about 2 weeks to get my boat repaired....that's doing all the warranty work and all the diagnosis and submittal to the warranty company...not fun but hey...atleast I' know it will be repaired correctly....
boat is great...where else is it that someone on a boating site will offer to lend his trailer to a needy boater!!....all I can say is thanks to todd for his assistance and generocity....
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 02-01-2008, 02:59 AM   #8
Lt. JG

Glad everything is working out. Hope the two week estimate holds up. My last two week job turned into 5 weeks! :shock:
Old 02-02-2008, 02:54 AM   #9
Admiral

ok....things just shouldn't be this hard!!!...damn!!... :shock:
I had this guy that basically did the same stupid thing I did with my boat...start it while the raw water pump was frozen (without my knowledge) and sheared the impeller off....well...he had his in the shop all this week and was supposed to meet up with me tomorrow to unload his boat and load mine onto his trailer ..then take it to the boat repair shop..well..his boat had more damage (which now has me really worried) and he won't have his boat in time...so..I had to call olympic and tell them to come get my boat (I'm sure that's gonna cost me some coin)....then they will do the repairs ..which I'm praying that the flapper valve isn't damaged too!!...I'll let you know how it goes...
oh yeah...the reason I have to wait till next week...there is the seattle boat show going on until tomorrow and they need time to bring the boats up from seattle and make a trailer available....... :?
one of the problems is that they have discontinued to thier on call truck and now I have to take my boat to the shop...which isn't an easy task.....damned bean counters!!... :x.....I think my next boat is going to be a searay...atleast they have roving trucks for servicing boats!!..
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 02-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #10
Admiral

well..today I ran to the boat with the admiral and we emptied the boat out with stuff we don't want stolen....we got all the food off..emptied the frig and tools...got all the other stuff off..blankets and pillows ..removed the bedding (cuz they needed to be washed anyway..)..then took the front/back eisen glass off ...secured the antenna....pulled the shore power and stowed it..then pulled all the lines in to secure them....and stowed the carpets inside...raised the drive.....and finally shut the pwr off....she's ready to get transported...
man...I sure hate to see my boat in this condition...really pisses me off....
but can't blame anyone but me for being stupid and not making sure the raw water pump was empty......
Steve
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 02-03-2008, 09:37 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Steve - I feel for you. Sounds like this is a major Pain in the ass. Hopefully you can have her back in the water soon for some spring cruising but I guess that's in the hands of the boating gods now.

Good luck and keep us updated!
Old 02-04-2008, 12:25 AM   #12
Admiral

BR...I agree....it's a pain but we'll work thru it all....I'm being told it should be in their shop early next week.....
I'm trying to remember what to offer the boat gods to appease them!!...

Hopefully the boat will get fixed...and no other damage will have been done....
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 02-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #13
Admiral

oh boy oh boy..oh boy!!!...got a call this morning that oly's is coming to get my boat this morning and take it to the shop!!!...If the boat gods are good to me..and we have sacrificed the right virgins.....paid homage to neptune properly!!!..I might get my boat back by friday!!!......WOOOHOOOOO!!!!....
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 02-04-2008, 09:59 PM   #14
Lt. Commander

Don't count your chickens just yet.. I'd advise you head to your nearest water offer Neptune a couple beers! Just make sure no ones watching when you try to converse with him.....
Old 02-05-2008, 12:40 AM   #15
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit Rider
Don't count your chickens just yet.. I'd advise you head to your nearest water offer Neptune a couple beers! Just make sure no ones watching when you try to converse with him.....

I agree!!...maybe wednesday at lunch....
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 02-07-2008, 03:51 AM   #16
Admiral

well...I didn't make it to the water to pay homage to neptune!!..I had just microwaved my lunch when my phone rang...you guessed it...the shop called and asked me to come over cuz they have something I have to make a decision on....COME ON!!!!....you gotta be kidding me!!. :shock:

let me start over a second..this morning I called and said..hey..since I was gonna do an alignment check later..since you have my boat..go ahead and do that now...well..they pulled the drive and sho nuff...the engine was off about 10 degs...so...that wasn't the biggy....the shift cable was corroded and the shift linkage was also going out...now we're up to about $1300 and with this addition...add another 150 in parts and 350 in labor.....and they haven't even finished with the fish finder.... :? ..

so...I gotta find some virgins or beer or something to offer neptune or the boat gods!!!.....
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 02-08-2008, 04:17 AM   #17
Admiral

well..the parts for the shifter cable and the linkage are on order..I'm hoping they show up tomorrow..if not it will be monday that it will show up.....then they will install the shift cable and linkage...then my fish finder will get installed...

so..nowing these guys have my boat in their care....I ordered 2 extra large pizza's for the work crew on my boat....I got a call from jim thanking me for the pizza's.....I know it's kinduva sleezy way of getting cooperation..but hey...they can't drink beer on duty!!...haha...
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 02-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #18
Lt. Commander

Hey - Really nice gesture! Probably best to not send beer to a guy who is working on the control systems of your boat haha!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:21 PM   #19
Admiral

well..here's the update....I know your waiting for this one!!...I should have the boat back by thursday....the new shift linkage is in as well as the shifter cable...told today it shifts like a dream....before you had to manhandle it into gear...the raw water pump has been replaced as well as the flapper valves..they were burnt and almost ready to fail....new serpentine belt...other one chewed up....ran and tested ..no problems...the new fish finder sonar transducer was bedded at the bottom of the engine bay...tomorrow they string the wiring for me and that's it.......they will clean it up and drive her back to my slip at the other end of town....thursday.....don't know what the bill is yet...but I'm rapidly showing 2k american.....

then hopefully next weekend weather permitting..we can take a ride.....
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 02-19-2008, 12:09 AM   #20
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy
well..here's the update....I know your waiting for this one!!...I should have the boat back by thursday....the new shift linkage is in as well as the shifter cable...told today it shifts like a dream....before you had to manhandle it into gear...the raw water pump has been replaced as well as the flapper valves..they were burnt and almost ready to fail....new serpentine belt...other one chewed up....ran and tested ..no problems...the new fish finder sonar transducer was bedded at the bottom of the engine bay...tomorrow they string the wiring for me and that's it.......they will clean it up and drive her back to my slip at the other end of town....thursday.....don't know what the bill is yet...but I'm rapidly showing 2k american.....
then hopefully next weekend weather permitting..we can take a ride.....
BOAT = A hole in the water into which one throws money. I feel your pain. We went thru this last Spring.