Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-06-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
Admiral

Thumbs down Bad day on the water...

Hi guys...I hope I can teach someone what not to do on the water.....big time Effup..

ok...lets start over....I had planned a wonderful 8 day vacation...things were starting out not so hot and I probably should have listened to the gods on this one.....
but after several miss steps...we finally got underway for everett...we were late and decided we'd stay local for the nite...had a wonderful nite at the guest doc's at Everett....the winds kicked up so it turned out to be the only smart thing I did...
we got up early and got underway..the water was gorgeously flat....

we headed north up to deception pass where the water was still very nice...
and the winds were mild at best...

we crossed over thru to lopez pass and again ..the water was fantastic...at this point I was really looking fwd to getting to our destination of Brentwood bay marina in BC....but we needed to stop for fuel at friday harbor....
as it turned out...luck would have it that we met up with Puget Mike and his wonderful wife Virginia at the gas pumps....we'd already had our fuel and was ready to go..plus the dock girls were throwing us off the docks....
again..water was really nice..mike and virginia were on the way to deer harbor for thier holiday....
At this point I CANNOT say enough thank you's to Mike and Virginia and you'll see why shortly...

we were on our way to Sidney first to go thru customs and get some veggies....as we were running west..the water started getting really snotty...so I moved closer to an island to get into the lea...I suddenly got very distracted and should have just shut my damned cell phone off..(here comes the lesson guys!!!)....
my cell phone kept going off trying to text me and do some other wierd stuff such as a time zone change and border change....ie canada....
then I was checking my gps to make sure I was heading in the right direction and looked up just in time to see some bull kelp....

this is where all hell breaks loose!!!....it was extreme low tide...I was not far enough closer to the island and I nailed a huge a$$ed rock!!!....huge bang.....boat stopped...alarms going off.....squeeling, screeching metal sounds that rocked my soul....

at this point I checked to see if marsha and the dogs were ok....she was absolutely panic stricken...the next thing I did was check to see if the damage was terminal to abandon ship or can I fight it.....
I lifted the engine hatch and saw water coming in...then I raced over and started a mayday call....at first I thought we were in canadian waters but after I got a bit calmed down I was able to give correct coordinants.....then I hit the DCS emergency button......

within minutes I had 6 boats at my side ready to take us if the boat sank...

we got a boat from the fisheries dept and Zach came aboard and helped get marsha and the kids transfered to his boat....then we established that the port engine was still running but could make way....then vessel assist came along side and gave me an emergency pump to help keep the water at bay...

from there we went to roche harbor....this is where I have to say that roche were jerks...complete A-holes.....we called and called and called and they refused me a dock to loan to stabilize the boat and flooding..so we docked at customs....the custom officer ...a complete jerk tossed us off the dock..I was busy getting the pump going with vessel assit to keep me afloat....
we made it around to "A" dock to see if we needed to get a diver overboard to jam some putty into any holes.....

we made the decision to head over to orcas island where island marine (can't quite remember the name of the marina right now)...was able to pull me out by sling....

let me say at this point ....not only did I have 6 boats come to our rescue within minutes..

but Puget Mike and Virginia heard the call and came from Deer harbor where they were just getting ready to dock.....gave up thier slip to come and see if they could help...not only did they stay with me all the way to getting Wild Whim pulled ...but took us too deer harbor in thier boat...dogs and all...so we could stay the nite at the inn....and then took us to laconner the next morning where my nieghbor came up and took us to get our car at the marina.....
I cannot say thank you enough to mike and virginia for thier support , friendship and caring to get us home and to safety....

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
Admiral

the damage is quite extensive and instead of me posting every stoopid event and picture...
I'll invite you to see the damage I did to the boat...

I hit the rock at 32 mph ....which as you can imagine is moving for a 15k lbs boat..

http://baylinerownersclub.org/galler...0863&g2_page=1

so...here's my lesson to you people....
TURN THE DAMNED CELL PHONE OFF WHEN OPERATING A BOAT....
KEEP YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE HELM AND OUT WHERE THE WATER IS.....
LEARN AND KNOW HOW TO OPERATE EVERY PART OF YOUR BOAT!!!

PERIOD!!!!

after Wild Whim is repaired...(hopefully the insurance company won't drop me ).....
she will be up for sale...I hope I can find an owner that will be able to take as good a care as I was trying to and enjoy her......
she is getting both new drives and new engines...the bottom fiberglass was trashed from about 3/4's of the way fwd to aft....the only thing holding the stbd drive on was the tilt rams.....
the bottom skeg is gone....port drive was leaking when she was pulled...so both drives ..transom mounts and god only knows what else will be repaired plus all the fiberglass work will be repaired...the guys we went too said they do this all the time...more people run into the rocks up there than you can imagine....

after the boat's repaired and sold...I'll not be a boater anymore....marsha is too tramatized to enjoy it...and I won't put her in that much danger again....

so...I'm done.....

SP

Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 07-06-2011, 02:40 AM   #3
Commander

WOW, an amazing event, thanks for sharing.

Very glad you all came out alive, hate to see you sell out, but seems very understandable considering the circumstances.

wish I could see your pic, but I refuse to have a facebook acct.
oldno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:23 AM   #4
Commander

Seapuppy's pics can be seen at the below link.

http://baylinerownersclub.org/galler...0863&g2_page=1

Glad Everyone is safe SP. That is quite a hit Wild Whim took. Keep us posted on the repairs.

-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:41 AM   #5
Lt. JG

SP:

What a sad, sad tale, with lessons for all of us. To echo the other sentiments: Glad you are all safe and sound. That had to be a terrifying few minutes. We'll hold good thoughts that maybe you and Marsha may
reconsider your decision at some point. Keep us posted.

Mike
Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:46 AM   #6
Admiral

thanks guys...the really Pi$$er about it all is that Roche Harbor and customs wouldn't allow us to dock and stabilize the boat while we tried to figure out where to take the boat for haul out....

I'm investigating my options right now on it...

thanks for all the kind words...

Steve
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 07-06-2011, 03:55 AM   #7
Admiral

Just sit back and take a deep breath SP...........thank the big guy that other than nerves everyone is OK! We all have done the bone-head moves.....live and learn.........that is why we carry boat insurance...........

Well back to vegas for the rest of the vacation :-)

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:00 AM   #8
Ensign

Just wanted to say, as the wife of a boater, this is what we all dread, however, how you handled it and yourself, shows that you have your priorities straight.
It could happen to ANY OF US, at any time, with or without the cell phone ( can't see through the water). Bless you both, so glad you are safe-
I was really nervious when we first started boating-my daughter finally said-prepare, be as safe as you can, and then - pay your insurance-that is why you have it.
Marlene
p.s. always enjoyed reading your posts-not so much this time -thank you for sharing such a scary experience.
Madmarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:56 AM   #9
Admiral

Thanks guys again...very kind words indeed.....
today I was very busy as you can imagine...I was contacted by the claims dept and they took my statement to get the process going..
then spoke with Ian the supervisor at the West sound marina where the boat is located.
I also spoke to the shop I've used for 12 yrs to let them know what happened and they are offering to provide any informational support they need..
I spoke today with my marina and told them our boat was laid up on Orcas Island for repairs and they told us that they would put us on the inactive or away list and they would save our slip and we didn't have to pay for the 2 months we will be laid up..
finally...talked again to Ian about the process and they have already started clean up and found the aft bulkhead that seperates the midberth from the engine bay has a huge crack in it...on top of having to pull the engines and drives..but also the generator and the fuel tank has to come out....

things are starting to move and it's going to happen fast I hope....I sure hope so...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 07-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
Lt. Commander

Wow SP, I am so sorry this happened to you! Most important thing is everyone is safe!

I sure hope you do not give up boating. You have been such a help to so many boaters through all of your advice.

Terry
tjwieseler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Send a message via AIM to TBarCYa

Definitely glad to hear that everyone is ok. I certainly hope that after all is said and done that you don't give up boating forever. The winters here are hard enough, I don't know what I'd do without it.

2008 Maxum 1800MX - 'Lottie-Da'
https://www.tombarcia.net/lottie-da/index.htm
TBarCYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
after the boat's repaired and sold...I'll not be a boater anymore....marsha is too tramatized to enjoy it...and I won't put her in that much danger again....

so...I'm done.....

SP
A boat is just stuff SP and Marsha, just stuff. Yes, you had the daylights scared out of you but you're both alive and safe. Thank God for that.

Everytime I screw up big time, and lord knows I have, I learn from it. learn from it and go on, thats all you can and must do otherwise your mind will go on nagging you with questions. If you choose to quit boating, there is nothing wrong with that if it is both of your wishes. Keep the door open though, maybe ease back into it with a smaller boat that doesn't require all the upkeep and worry not to mention the cost.

I predict you will eventually miss the freedom that boating provides, it certainly does for me.

Congratulations for remaining calm getting back safe, since that is your responsibility as skipper. Job well done considering the hell you both went thru.

Bella Sera 3300SCR
Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #13
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Wow, Steve, quite an experience and one, or anything remotely similar, I'm sure you hope to never repete. Glad all of you are all safe and you were able to keep WW afloat and limp her to an accommodating dock.

I really like what Marlene said. Sometimes things just happen no matter what. What's enormously important is that you effectively managed what could have been a much worse situation. Well done, Captain.

Hopefully, after you've replayed the experience over and over in your head and both of your nerves have calmed, you'll have a different perspective on what your future as boaters looks like.

Respectfully,

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #14
Lt. Commander

Steve,

Sorry to hear what happened but very glad to hear all is OK with you and Marsha. Takes quite a man to acknowledge, admit and to share his mistakes and misfortunes for the benefit of others. Thank you for doing that. After the "event", it seems to me that you handled everything very well - you knew what to do and you had the equipment and presence of mind to do it. The proof is in the "pudding"....the boat stayed afloat, you and Marsha made it to the hard without PHYSICAL injury - notwithstanding the few a-holes you were faced with. Since I have been a member here, I have never been able to offer YOU any advice until now - and here it is.....only you and Marsha can decide what to do in the future and call it quits on boating. I realize that that is your decision now and very well may be the "right" one for you given how shaken Marsha was. However, time heals all wounds and, in my humble opinion, a life changing decision should not be made until some time has passed and you have calmed down, reflected on how well you handled the situation and on how much (we all know) you love to be on the water. So, while I am in no way telling you what you should or shouldn't decide to do in the future, I am advising you to let some time pass, reflect, discuss with Marsha and then make your decision. And then whatever decision you have made will be the the "right" one for you and your admiral. The very best to both you and Marsha in the future, good luck with the repairs, insurance and sale and please keep us informed as to your future plans. Thanks again for sharing and for all you have done and continue to do for all of us at the MOC.

Sincerely,
Brian
New Boat 8/13/11: Chaparral 206SSI with 5.0 VP GXI SX
Prior Boat: 2008 Maxum 1900SR3, 4.3L V6 190HP, Alpha 1 (great boat)
2010 Ford 150 XLT Super Crew 5.4L V-8, tow package
2008 Infiniti G-35
Brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #15
Lt. Commander

Glad to hear Marsha and the pups are ok, Steve. Those Roche Harbor goons should be horse whipped for their actions! This just further solidifies my disdain for that harbor. What a joke.

Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #16
Lt. Commander

Steve,

I would echo what others have already written so eloquently. It's pretty clear that your cool head, knowledge and experience kept a bad situation from becoming much worse. On and off the water, scenarios like yours play in my mind and I try to think through how to avoid them, what I'd need on board if they happen, what steps I should take in what order, etc etc. Thank you for relating your experience, which I'm sure if nothing else will put the fear of God in the rest of us and make us more careful.

I agree with others the fullness of time may put a different perspective on this for you and Marsha. I wish you both the smoothest path to fixing the Wild Whim and making the best decision regarding your boating future.

Regards,
Tom
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:21 AM   #17
Admiral

Sorry it's taken so long to get all the photo's loaded onto my album.....

http://baylinerownersclub.org/galler...0863&g2_page=6

now your able to oogle at the damage..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 07-08-2011, 01:37 AM   #18
Admiral

oogle oogle...............SP I bet that felt like fingernails on the chalkboard.............having had an outdrive hit something in the Illinois river years ago and it was destroyed......that is why we make those insurance payments.

Add two more stripes to your grade sailor!

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:42 AM   #19
Admiral

a few photo's just incase someone can't see any....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 07-08-2011, 01:44 AM   #20
Admiral

Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang