Old 07-08-2011, 01:44 AM   #21
Admiral

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #22

Angry In the imortal words of Homer Simpson..........

DOH'!!!!!!!

Bella Sera 3300SCR

Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #23
johnmartin348

It is really sad that you have to go through this situation but That does not mean that we should never do boating. Even I was having such a bad experience and I am still boating.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #24
Lt. Commander

Wow Steve, my stomach hurts just reading the story. Great luck with the repair and insurance company. Maybe you can just bring her to our inland lake in Kansas where you drive 20 minutes, raft up, drink beer and float home!

Man, so sorry that happened but can't imagine a person could have handled it better.
tackleshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #25
Lt. Commander

As repeated so many times previously Steve, glad everyone was ok. Also as suggested, I also believe it best to let some time pass. Nothing has to be decided right now. See how she comes out after repairs, perhaps a little test ride or two with Marsha, and see how you both feel then, imho. Well handled in the moment of crisis Tom.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #26
Lt. JG

Seapuppy,
Glad you and yours made it home safely. I hope that you reconsider your decision on boating. In any case, I want to thank you for the advice you have offered on this forum and the welcome that you have extended to all of us, especially us newbies.
rscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #27
Lieutenant

Hey SP, I just saw the thread. Not much I can add that someone hasn't already said. Just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and wishing you the best.

Matt
capav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #28
Admiral

thanks everyone...it was pretty scary....
this is one of those things where you always wonder how you will perform when the rubber hits the road so to speak.....I'm happy to see that I did pretty much everything right as nobody got thier feetsies wet.....the boat was recovered and can now be repaired....

just got off the phone with insurance and the shop...things are starting to get pulled apart now...then they will send the estimate.....

hopefully we'll get started here shortly...and this chapter will be closed soon....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 07-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #29
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
thanks everyone...it was pretty scary....
this is one of those things where you always wonder how you will perform when the rubber hits the road so to speak.....I'm happy to see that I did pretty much everything right as nobody got thier feetsies wet.....the boat was recovered and can now be repaired....

just got off the phone with insurance and the shop...things are starting to get pulled apart now...then they will send the estimate.....

hopefully we'll get started here shortly...and this chapter will be closed soon....

SP
This is one frightening story!! I have had a few near misses but nothing like this...yet. i think you are lucky the speed the estimates etc are going, over here in the UK it would be weeks before the ball got rolling. As for the guys not letting you moor up to stabalise the boat, well that just blows!

I understand that you want to give up boating for all the right reasons, BUT like you say no one even got their feet wet. You could be driving a car and hit a child, grandma, grandpa etc, but you would carry on driving. i know boating is an option, driving more a need, but iether scenario were not you fault. Just like a car crash, the noise even at 10 mph is horendous, on a boat you are surrounded by liquid and cant just park up, hopefully this will be another notch on your boating CV and you will both relax

I think you can buy forward facing sonar??
Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #30

Seapuppy,

I'm so glad that you, Marsha and the seapuppies are ok. As said earlier, material possesions can be replaced. Eveyone has touched on all the main points.....good, bad, etc. My sympathies. I completely understand.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #31
Commander

Red face boat

A little time will help you to make the right decision hang in there.
cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #32
Admiral

thanks guys....we're still dealing with the estimates..so far we're hitting the 40k mark in damages....

and a special thanks to shrew for giving me a call to see how we're doing....greatly appreciated ..although we're still doing fine....the memories are hard pressed to put away....hearing the bang and the screech of metal being sheered away still reverberates deeply right now.....

the main thing is to get it repaired at this point and THEN see where to go...

thanks again

Steve
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 07-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #33

Smile Rudyard Kiplings Poem: "If"

Hey SP,

I took this from a previous post of mine refering to tough times testing your meddle, thought it was apropos considering how you were able to keep it together. This poem describes a day in the life of any boater....eventually.

Bella Sera 3300SCR

"If"

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on";

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch;
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!

Ruyard Kipling
Old 07-15-2011, 01:06 AM   #34
Lt. Commander

Puppy- you seem way to interested in boating to go "cold turkey" Hey it was an accident. Hopefully your insurance will help and you can either rebuild it or get something else. Stuff happens, you learn from it and move on. Best regards-
Capt Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #35
Ensign

Seapuppy I sure wish you some calm now after the problems. Take time to reflect, don't just "jump ship" or rush in either.. It times like these the best is to relax, take the deep breaths, (even if it feels forced) asses and deal with only what is needed. Given time things will be sorted out, some pain may be felt, but remembering how much enjoyment has been had will come too, once the immediency of all that is whirling around you slowly comes together.
It is very good to hear that despite the damage, no physical injuries occured, really shows with how your chain of actions were done that you are in will always be one who can lead in an emergency and be sure that your priorities are correct.
Take care, yourself and family, keep us posted.
vffb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #36
Lt. Commander

Just got back from a long vacation and read your post. Really sorry to hear what's happened but everything is secondary to you & yours being safe and sound. I really hope things work out for you Pup. Good luck.
Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #37
Admiral

I just got a chance to add the pic's to an album...as you can see...pretty extensive damage was done...these photo's were taken by my friends, Mike and Virginia....who followed us and made sure we were safe, place to sleep and fed....even got us to a place where my neighbor could pick us up..

http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum...hp?albumid=129
SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 07-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #38
Admiral

WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!..just got a call from the insurance company and they are sending me a check for the start of all the repairs....the estimate came in at 43908. and change....the shop will start ordering parts now and hopefully we'll get the boat back soon....

on a side note....the admirable and I had a serious talk about the boat....it looks like she is missing the boat badly and still wants to boat....we'll see how that goes but it looks like the wife is still afraid but still wants to boat....a hate to love the boat thing (her words ..not mine)....

then yesterday after work..got home to a phone message on the ans. machine...the Border patrol investigated the incident and contacted me for my story....said he mailed me a letter I should get in a few days explaining that they take thier jobs very seriously and that they hold professionalism highly...although this agent acted badly ...he should have assessed the situation better......I told him the story from front to back and said...all we needed was some time to stabilize the boat..get a diver over if there was any hull damage to plug holes and figure out where to take it for a haul out...the officer at the site refused us time and told us to "get off his dock"..which by the way "ISN'T his dock...belongs to the marina........so ...after a 15 min phone conversation...he said that he appologizes for the officer and thanked me for talking with him.....evidently this will be a small slap on the hands and that will be it......but atleast I made a formal complaint...it went thru the ranks...and it got addressed..............

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 07-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #39
Lt. Commander

Good news all around SP. Nice work on reporting your border patrol issue, in law enforcement there are so many good people and sometimes they need to be reminded why and who they serve. I'm an ex-detective myself and I've seen so many issues where somebody gets caught up in their job of finding bad guys and forgets the "serve" part.

On to better news....boating is definately a disease......and it's nice to see that you and the Admiral didn't find a cure.

On such a smaller side of the issue there are times when I think any boater is ready to hang it up. My drive issue was just killing me and I was pissed. But by God it's been a single weekend out of the water and I'm dying. OBVIOUSLY not a comparison to your horrible accident but the feelings run along the same lines.
tackleshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
on a side note....the admirable and I had a serious talk about the boat....it looks like she is missing the boat badly and still wants to boat....we'll see how that goes but it looks like the wife is still afraid but still wants to boat....a hate to love the boat thing (her words ..not mine)....SP
I knew it all along.....You can take SP out of boating, but you can't take the boating out of SP! it's in your DNA!! Embrace it!!

Bella Sera 3300SCR