Old 07-08-2011, 02:44 AM   #21
Admiral

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #22

Angry In the imortal words of Homer Simpson..........

DOH'!!!!!!!

Bella Sera 3300SCR

Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #23
johnmartin348

It is really sad that you have to go through this situation but That does not mean that we should never do boating. Even I was having such a bad experience and I am still boating.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #24
Lt. Commander

Wow Steve, my stomach hurts just reading the story. Great luck with the repair and insurance company. Maybe you can just bring her to our inland lake in Kansas where you drive 20 minutes, raft up, drink beer and float home!

Man, so sorry that happened but can't imagine a person could have handled it better.
tackleshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #25
Lt. Commander

As repeated so many times previously Steve, glad everyone was ok. Also as suggested, I also believe it best to let some time pass. Nothing has to be decided right now. See how she comes out after repairs, perhaps a little test ride or two with Marsha, and see how you both feel then, imho. Well handled in the moment of crisis Tom.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #26
Lt. JG

Seapuppy,
Glad you and yours made it home safely. I hope that you reconsider your decision on boating. In any case, I want to thank you for the advice you have offered on this forum and the welcome that you have extended to all of us, especially us newbies.
rscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #27
Lieutenant

Hey SP, I just saw the thread. Not much I can add that someone hasn't already said. Just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and wishing you the best.

Matt
capav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #28
Admiral

thanks everyone...it was pretty scary....
this is one of those things where you always wonder how you will perform when the rubber hits the road so to speak.....I'm happy to see that I did pretty much everything right as nobody got thier feetsies wet.....the boat was recovered and can now be repaired....

just got off the phone with insurance and the shop...things are starting to get pulled apart now...then they will send the estimate.....

hopefully we'll get started here shortly...and this chapter will be closed soon....

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #29
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
thanks everyone...it was pretty scary....
this is one of those things where you always wonder how you will perform when the rubber hits the road so to speak.....I'm happy to see that I did pretty much everything right as nobody got thier feetsies wet.....the boat was recovered and can now be repaired....

just got off the phone with insurance and the shop...things are starting to get pulled apart now...then they will send the estimate.....

hopefully we'll get started here shortly...and this chapter will be closed soon....

SP
This is one frightening story!! I have had a few near misses but nothing like this...yet. i think you are lucky the speed the estimates etc are going, over here in the UK it would be weeks before the ball got rolling. As for the guys not letting you moor up to stabalise the boat, well that just blows!

I understand that you want to give up boating for all the right reasons, BUT like you say no one even got their feet wet. You could be driving a car and hit a child, grandma, grandpa etc, but you would carry on driving. i know boating is an option, driving more a need, but iether scenario were not you fault. Just like a car crash, the noise even at 10 mph is horendous, on a boat you are surrounded by liquid and cant just park up, hopefully this will be another notch on your boating CV and you will both relax

I think you can buy forward facing sonar??
Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #30

Seapuppy,

I'm so glad that you, Marsha and the seapuppies are ok. As said earlier, material possesions can be replaced. Eveyone has touched on all the main points.....good, bad, etc. My sympathies. I completely understand.