Old 07-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Send a message via AIM to TBarCYa

Definitely glad to hear that everyone is ok. I certainly hope that after all is said and done that you don't give up boating forever. The winters here are hard enough, I don't know what I'd do without it.

2008 Maxum 1800MX - 'Lottie-Da'
http://www.tombarcia.net/lottie-da/index.htm
TBarCYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
after the boat's repaired and sold...I'll not be a boater anymore....marsha is too tramatized to enjoy it...and I won't put her in that much danger again....

so...I'm done.....

SP
A boat is just stuff SP and Marsha, just stuff. Yes, you had the daylights scared out of you but you're both alive and safe. Thank God for that.

Everytime I screw up big time, and lord knows I have, I learn from it. learn from it and go on, thats all you can and must do otherwise your mind will go on nagging you with questions. If you choose to quit boating, there is nothing wrong with that if it is both of your wishes. Keep the door open though, maybe ease back into it with a smaller boat that doesn't require all the upkeep and worry not to mention the cost.

I predict you will eventually miss the freedom that boating provides, it certainly does for me.

Congratulations for remaining calm getting back safe, since that is your responsibility as skipper. Job well done considering the hell you both went thru.

Bella Sera 3300SCR

Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #13
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Wow, Steve, quite an experience and one, or anything remotely similar, I'm sure you hope to never repete. Glad all of you are all safe and you were able to keep WW afloat and limp her to an accommodating dock.

I really like what Marlene said. Sometimes things just happen no matter what. What's enormously important is that you effectively managed what could have been a much worse situation. Well done, Captain.

Hopefully, after you've replayed the experience over and over in your head and both of your nerves have calmed, you'll have a different perspective on what your future as boaters looks like.

Respectfully,

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #14
Lt. Commander

Steve,

Sorry to hear what happened but very glad to hear all is OK with you and Marsha. Takes quite a man to acknowledge, admit and to share his mistakes and misfortunes for the benefit of others. Thank you for doing that. After the "event", it seems to me that you handled everything very well - you knew what to do and you had the equipment and presence of mind to do it. The proof is in the "pudding"....the boat stayed afloat, you and Marsha made it to the hard without PHYSICAL injury - notwithstanding the few a-holes you were faced with. Since I have been a member here, I have never been able to offer YOU any advice until now - and here it is.....only you and Marsha can decide what to do in the future and call it quits on boating. I realize that that is your decision now and very well may be the "right" one for you given how shaken Marsha was. However, time heals all wounds and, in my humble opinion, a life changing decision should not be made until some time has passed and you have calmed down, reflected on how well you handled the situation and on how much (we all know) you love to be on the water. So, while I am in no way telling you what you should or shouldn't decide to do in the future, I am advising you to let some time pass, reflect, discuss with Marsha and then make your decision. And then whatever decision you have made will be the the "right" one for you and your admiral. The very best to both you and Marsha in the future, good luck with the repairs, insurance and sale and please keep us informed as to your future plans. Thanks again for sharing and for all you have done and continue to do for all of us at the MOC.

Sincerely,
Brian
New Boat 8/13/11: Chaparral 206SSI with 5.0 VP GXI SX
Prior Boat: 2008 Maxum 1900SR3, 4.3L V6 190HP, Alpha 1 (great boat)
2010 Ford 150 XLT Super Crew 5.4L V-8, tow package
2008 Infiniti G-35
Brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #15
Lt. Commander

Glad to hear Marsha and the pups are ok, Steve. Those Roche Harbor goons should be horse whipped for their actions! This just further solidifies my disdain for that harbor. What a joke.

Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #16
Lt. Commander

Steve,

I would echo what others have already written so eloquently. It's pretty clear that your cool head, knowledge and experience kept a bad situation from becoming much worse. On and off the water, scenarios like yours play in my mind and I try to think through how to avoid them, what I'd need on board if they happen, what steps I should take in what order, etc etc. Thank you for relating your experience, which I'm sure if nothing else will put the fear of God in the rest of us and make us more careful.

I agree with others the fullness of time may put a different perspective on this for you and Marsha. I wish you both the smoothest path to fixing the Wild Whim and making the best decision regarding your boating future.

Regards,
Tom
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:21 AM   #17
Admiral

Sorry it's taken so long to get all the photo's loaded onto my album.....

http://baylinerownersclub.org/galler...0863&g2_page=6

now your able to oogle at the damage..

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:37 AM   #18
Admiral

oogle oogle...............SP I bet that felt like fingernails on the chalkboard.............having had an outdrive hit something in the Illinois river years ago and it was destroyed......that is why we make those insurance payments.

Add two more stripes to your grade sailor!

Roger
biggerseagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:42 AM   #19
Admiral

a few photo's just incase someone can't see any....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 07-08-2011, 02:44 AM   #20
Admiral

Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang