Old 08-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Commander

Cool backing up

It feels like I get less tight turn radius in reverse on the port side than I do on starboard side can that be so .2400 scr 5.7l bravo3 .I find it hard to back into a slip when I need more of a tight turn to control it in a small slip .and no wind . ????????

cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID

It's probably got something to do with the torque/rotation of the props being more "responsive" one direction versus another. Physics says one can't help but experience more "suck" when cranked hard-over to a particular side, which would be especially more noticeable during very slow speeds which we do in reverse. Kind of like when an engine gets revved on a high-powered car, and the car sways from side to side while sitting still---the boat's going to experience greater "suction" in one particular direction due to the physics of how a propeller turns. There's probably a technical name for it... bet SeaPuppy knows! Plus you're "steering" from the opposite "end" of the boat than you are when you're moving forward... a concept I think we all forget when we engage reverse.

My two-cents worth...

Old 08-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

The turn will always be greater on a single prop to one side (rotation of the prop normally clockwise) i can turn sharp right with no probs at tickover which is the opposite way to the turn i need to fit the tight gap of our pontoon just one of those things you have to get used to and use wind and tide to aid the turn.
Warpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Is actually an interesting question. I can certainly wrap my head around it when we're talking single props but the Bravo III has 2 props and they counter-rotate, which effectively eliminates prop walk.

In Cunuck's case I guess I'd start by measuring the full port and full starboard swing of the drive to ensure there isn't some mechanical limitation.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote