Old 03-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Send a message via AIM to jblack1036
Default Alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrive removel

Was wondering, is it really nesseccery to remove the outdrive just to replace the empeller. Having never done it before and looking at it, couldn't you just unmate the lower part of the drive in order to get to the empeller and replace it without having to remove the leg completely??? Just my thoughts... Please school me otherwise if I am wrong.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #2

This is a pretty good video series:

Replace Sea Pump Impeller on an Alpha - Part 1:

Replace Sea Pump Impeller on an Alpha - Part 2

Here are some additional links:

http://www.sterndrives.com/replace_a...waterpump.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_6148653_repl...alpha-one.html

I don't see anything that indicates you have to take the entire leg off to do this. It looks like it's just the lower half. Of course your safest bet would be to cross reference the serial # of the drive for year/model with the shop/maintenance manual from the manufacturer, read all service notice updates related to it, then following their most recent set of instructions.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Admiral

for the alpha 1 drives...the impeller is in the lower half of the leg.....you would remove the whole drive to check alignment of the engine and drive...

so.....drain the oil ...put the drive in fwd....remove the 6-7 bolts holding the lower unit to upper part of the leg...remove and set on a stand of some sort...remove the 3 screws holding the impeller cover on...remove the impeller...note the direction of the impeller blades...then replace with new impeller...
reverse for installation.....make sure the gear shifter sits properly in the fork...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
Lt. JG

thanks for the responses. However, my main question was do you really need to remove the leg when the empeller can be accessed and removed/replaced just by removing the lower half of the leg. I've researched the "YOUTUBE" videos and have the repair/maintnance manual for the outdrive. Everything I have seen shows the removal of the hole leg. Why I don't understand because you don't even do anything to the upper half.

To be honest, there is nothing that I have seen that warrants the removal of the hole leg to replace the empeller or the pump itself. I can understand it's removal if you want to go the extra step to check alignments and what not. But to just replace the empeller...........I don't see the need too unless there is a specifc reason to pull the hold thing.

I don't mind doing all the work and the drive performed very well last year. No overheating issues at all. I just want to replace the empeller.

I'm just going to remove the lower half. Seems like a "No Brainer" to me.

thanks for the info.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
Admiral

I think I answered you...remove the lower half of the leg for just the impeller.....you don't need to remove the whole leg...unless you want to check the alignment of the engine and the condition of the gimble bearings and bellows....which shouldn't be an issue....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 03-18-2011, 02:49 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

I replaced two Alpha Drive Gen 2 impellers last spring. First buy the impeller kit, comes with all necessary parts for that drive. Yes you only have to remove the lower half(still pretty heavy). That You Tube video with Eddie from LI on a Maxum boat was excellent. . This is a messy and difficult job but I did it myself and saved $$. Make sure you replace all the parts and don't forget the gear lube O-ring, it's critical. If the housing is worn you can replace that too. Make sure it's right otherwise you can damage the drive. Good luck!
Capt Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
Lt. JG

@Shrew, I didn't watch the video's from the link you sent because I had already watched quite a few and all of them had the whold lag coming off. (just didn't make sence). After viewing it today, it was spot on, even performing the replacement on the same boat as mine, a 2400 SCR. Wish I had watched the videos you provided before I piped off again.

@Seapuppy, you did answer the original question but I miss read it thinking that the leg still had to come off. My apology for that. As always, you have valuable input. Momma always told me to listen to my elders.......

@Capt al, thanks for the part info. I have already planned to due just that. I was even thinking about replacing the actual pump itself while I'm already in there.

Thanks again all. Enjoy the waters...
Old 03-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #8

JBlack. No worries. Just be very, very careful with the bolts for the lower unit. A friend of mine seperated his a few years ago. At the time, he had no idea how long it had been since they had been sperated. Apparently the PO had been lax in impellor replacement. When he attempted to force the bolts out he sheared one. He couldn't drill the sheared bolt out, so he ended up with a new drive as a result.

There is some merit to taking the whole drive off as well. For example, when was the last time the bellows were replaced? Now might be a good time to take care of servicing the entire drive. Just a thought. Best of luck.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #9
Lt. JG

@shrew, thanks for the insight. I'm considering alot of things with this one. First off, the boat has noramally been trailored to the water and put back on the trailer after a day of fun. However, this year we are going to be keeping it at the local marina in the water all year. I don't know the condition of the bellows but it might be a good idea to give it the works just for assurity. I would hate to show up on the weekend and find the vessel flooded or worse, on the bottom of the marina. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
Admiral

if that's the case..then make sure you check all connections to the bilge pump and make sure it's working properly....don't wanna come back to the dock and find your boat sitting on the bottom....

if you have any (and we're talking salt water naturally......)and I mean ANY!!!..salt water in the bilge ...make sure you find out where it's coming from...and get it out of there as best you can...even if it's pumping it out with a hand pump....

the newest owner let salt water get into the bilge of my boat he bought....and didn't bother to pump it out....one day he found all his oil had purged into the bilge ....what a mess.. when I visited him and told him something was wrong....gotta get that water out of the bilge...he didn't ....it rusted right thru the oil pan....

so....good luck...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 03-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #11
Commander

Having done the impeller myself last spring on a Alpha 1 Gen 2, I will say that you do not HAVE to pull the whole drive. But unless you have help to reinstall the lower portion (read this 2-3 guys), the lower unit is just too heavy to do yourself. I searched around and built a simpe stand with 2x4s and was able to slide the whole drive out by myself. It then was a great stand to do the work in once seperated. Also removing the upper drive creates lots of room to inspect all the bellows. I took pictures of the process and will send them/post them if you want.

-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:00 AM   #12
Admiral

jp...definitely post the pic's here...we'd all love to see it..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 03-19-2011, 03:53 AM   #13
Commander

As requested SP, here they are. I built the stand in place, then the outdrive slid back away from the transom. Reverse the process to put it back in afterward. Hope this helps someone else. Not pretty or fancy, but functional. Also a great time to replace the zincs, especially the one behind the propeller.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
Lt. JG

Nice pics of the process and nice looking drive support. Looks like that makes it pretty easy.

As for the me, well, I replaced the empeller yesterday. It was way too easy. Of course, when I got in there I realized that I didn't need too. The one that was in it looks as good as new and still flexible. I'll save it for an emergency. Just need to get another gasket set and drive seal.

cheers
Old 03-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #15
Commander

JB, My opinion is that for something so easy, you can do yourself is well worth the cost of parts once every 3 years. Especially when the alternative is sitting at the dock or on the trailer with an overheated engine and a group of people who had planned on having fun that weekend.

Glad it went well for you.