Old 09-03-2008, 12:12 AM   #1
hps
Ensign

Default aftermarket swim platform for 18oomx

I wonder why maxum does not offer an extended swim platform for its 1800 series? Are there mounting issues? There are some companies that make custom platforms from transom templates. Does anyone have an1800mx with a platform? Thanks!

hps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:24 AM   #2
Admiral

there is a company locally in the Seattle area that will build a custom swim step and install it for a nominal cost...I'll see if I can find the website for you...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
Commander

Default Re: aftermarket swim platform for 18oomx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps
I wonder why maxum does not offer an extended swim platform for its 1800 series? Are there mounting issues? There are some companies that make custom platforms from transom templates. Does anyone have an1800mx with a platform? Thanks!
Aren't the MX's designed with a molded 'mini platform' in the stern itself?

Looking at some pictures of some MX series boats I don't see any reason why you can't have one installed.
racer2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:49 PM   #4
hps
Ensign

Default 1800mx swim platform re:

Hi from ladysmith canada; thanks for the replies. yes, i found some websites for aftermarket swim platforms (swim-platforms.com), but i'm just surprised that maxum doesn't offer this option for the 18'. what about salt-water operation? do i need a closed cooling sytem or can i just flush for a long long time? great forum!
Old 09-04-2008, 11:52 PM   #5
hps
Ensign

Default racr2c

Hi racr, the platform on the 18mx is just a tiny little shelf. but you are probably right, should be no problem...unless you have to pull the engine or all the trim stuff or something! it would be nice to know if someone has actually installed one on this model. thanks!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:09 AM   #6
Admiral

Default Re: 1800mx swim platform re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps
Hi from ladysmith canada; thanks for the replies. yes, i found some websites for aftermarket swim platforms (swim-platforms.com), but i'm just surprised that maxum doesn't offer this option for the 18'. what about salt-water operation? do i need a closed cooling sytem or can i just flush for a long long time? great forum!
if your going to consistantly run in salt..then yes..add the freshwater cooling system....do a full up system ....
however if your mostly lake..an occasional run in salt...then just flush and use flush away...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:30 AM   #7
Commander

Default Re: racr2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps
Hi racr, the platform on the 18mx is just a tiny little shelf. but you are probably right, should be no problem...unless you have to pull the engine or all the trim stuff or something! it would be nice to know if someone has actually installed one on this model. thanks!
I do 100% salt water now and I've had 2 mercury shops tell me just flush it. I trailer my boat to the water so I flush for 15 minutes after each use. The catch is you MUST replace your impeller EVERY year. Salt turns the rubber gaskets to gel.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:32 AM   #8
Commander

Default Re: 1800mx swim platform re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps
Since Maxum chooses to split their models i.e. MX, SR, SR3 for their sub 20'ers they have to have some pieces that are only reserved for the 'full trim' versions. Kinda silly really.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:42 PM   #9
hps
Ensign

thanks guys! I think I should have maybe spent a little more on a 19' er, but I think I'll try the swim-platform.com and see how that works out. I guess for me, its just a lawn chair!
Old 09-06-2008, 01:49 PM   #10
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps
thanks guys! I think I should have maybe spent a little more on a 19' er, but I think I'll try the swim-platform.com and see how that works out. I guess for me, its just a lawn chair!
I've been kicking myself ever since I got my 1800SR3 for not getting the 1900. But it was 10K more for 1 more foot and a carbed V8 that only has 40hp more than the V6. Boats can be a lot like HDTV's, you always want the bigger one.
Now I'm stuck because who wants to buy a 3 year old 18' bowrider for 17,5K? So, I either trade it in on the boat I want and lose my shirt, or I sell it for less and lose my shirt or keep it. Hmm, decisions, decisions.