Old 09-03-2019, 12:48 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Advice on Purchase

Good morning everyone, I was just wanted to post here to seek a little advice from other Maxum owners. From what I have researched and read, there seems to be pros and cons for either option, making the choice harder.

We are looking to get out first boat and have narrowed it down to a couple of choices (one is trading a car + cash, one is cash and selling the car), both are in very good shape and both in similar shape - both are in the 600-700hrs range (1994 has a meter, the 1997 is verbal).

We mainly will be using the boat for tubing & fishing (fresh water only in the few lakes central Alberta has to offer, lol). It will typically have around 1000lbs of passengers and cargo.

Choice 1:
1994 Maxum 1800 SR - with the 4.3l (has snap covers, bimini top)
($6500 CDN / $5000 USD)

Choice 2:
1998 Maxum 2100 SR - with the 5.7l (no snap covers, only full boat cover)
($12000 CDN / $9250 USD)

I would just like to hear peoples opinions.

Thank you.

Kithkarnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:05 PM   #2
Admiral

Well this is a loaded question.

Which boat do you like better?

We can’t judge this as we can’t see the condition of either. Do they both have trailers and what is their condition? Are these both fresh water boats? Seats in good shape? Bellows ok? Have you taken them for a test run to see if you like the way they handle?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #3

A lot comes down to how the boat and motor survey. Larger boats ride nicer but have higher tow vehicle requirements (IF you're towing). The larger engine will be nicer for tow sports. The larger boat will be more comfortable for the passengers.

It is common to outgrow smaller boats faster.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:16 PM   #4
Ensign

The 1998 is in cleaner shape, neither has any issues, seats are in good condition for both, no floor issues, fiberglass issues, bellows good - but the 1998 is prettier (function overrules pretty).

Both are freshwater, the 1994 sat on a lift when not used, the 1998 in a driveway. Have not taken them for a test run, it would be possible with the 1998, but not the 1994 (1998 is private, 1994 is dealer). Not like it would tell me much, don't have enough experience to judge, would be more like yup, its a boat, lol.

I guess I am more looking for the 18' - 4.3 to the 21' - 5.7 comparison. Price comparison seems reasonable given the age difference and the size difference. Any opinions is helpful for sure.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:49 PM   #5
Captain

I've had both boats.
Using the logic, "buy your second boat first", I'd lean towards the 21'.
The 21' will tow a tube and handle water sports with ease. Having more room and more power is never a bad thing with a boat.
I would recommend a test drive, you can tell a lot and gives you a chance to talk to the owner. Make sure it runs smooth at high rpm and that all the gauges work. Walk around and check for soft spots. Make sure the trailer is solid and the lights work. You don't have to know boats to check the basics.
jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:05 PM   #6
Admiral

Go bigger now so you don't have to go through selling and purchase a new boat in a couple years. 2' itis comes on fast and strong in that size range.

Also, the dealer should allow you to sea trial the boat if you are interested.

Any canvas shop can make you a custom snap cover if it's that important to you.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:19 AM   #7
Lt. Commander

2ft itis is real. I would recommend the 21' with 5.7l. I had a 21' Crownline with the 5.7l it was a great motor plenty of power and good mpg. The 5.7l is good engine and parts are easy to come by. What drive does the 21' have?
MoonRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:00 PM   #8
Ensign

It has an Alpha One drive.

Added a few pics of it, since the general consensus seems to be leaning to the 21' boat.
Attached Thumbnails
S1.jpg   S2.jpg   S3.jpg   S4.jpg  
Old 09-04-2019, 02:45 PM   #9
Admiral

Why does the '98 not have an hour meter? Does it have maintenance records or has the owner done it all himself?

Something I do when buying anything from a private party is to take note of the condition of the other vehicles they own. Are the well kept? Also, if you can see in their shop or garage is it well organized or is stuff thrown everywhere? That can tell you a lot about how the boat was maintained.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:52 PM   #10
Ensign

From what I can tell, with the 1990s Maxums the hour meter was an optional accessory (at least when without EFI), but certainly not 100% on that.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:05 PM   #11
Captain

That is a nice looking boat and engine appears maintained.
My recommendation: Take it out for a water test. Check engine and drive oil levels before you leave. Do a nice, long run at 4000 rpm to make sure the engine is smooth and head gasket is good. Make sure the the eng temp, oil pressure, and tach work properly at a minimum. Any other gauges that don't work is good for bargaining price. Do some sharp turns at slow speed and listen/feel for ratcheting from sterndrive. Check oil levels again after you finish; engine oil level should not rise and drive level should not fall.
I would do a compression check, which will also let you see if there is water on top of cylinders, but that's just me.
I'm sure others will have additional items to check.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:14 AM   #12
Admiral

Take it for a test ride and have a handheld IR temp sensor with you. Once the engine is up to temp use the IR to take readings of the eng8ne and exhaust.

Boat does look clean for it age.

Mike
Old 09-07-2019, 04:55 AM   #13
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Take it for a test ride and have a handheld IR temp sensor with you. Once the engine is up to temp use the IR to take readings of the eng8ne and exhaust.

Boat does look clean for it age.
What temp should I be looking for?
Old 09-07-2019, 12:11 PM   #14
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithkarnon View Post
What temp should I be looking for?
Engine temp around 160 F and exhaust components 120F or less.

Mike
Old 09-07-2019, 02:12 PM   #15
Captain

Expect the exhaust manifolds to be hotter than the risers.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:02 PM   #16
Admiral

And you don't want to see a huge delta between the 2 sides.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:29 AM   #17
Ensign

Check the engine bay before and after the test drive for any leaks, fluids etc. Is the bilge clean dry & empty? Same afterwards?

I have just put 10 hours on a 2004 1800 SR3 time capsule that looks brand new. Guy had thirty total hours and two seasons on it, stored it without winterizing in 2006 in one of several large garages on his rural property in Northern California, so fast forward to June 2019, and it's got cracked exhaust manifolds and block. I bought a fresh longblock delivered from Florida for $1750, pulled the old one, swapped everything over, and it's a great lake boat. Easy to trailer, plenty of power, but yes, I could see some outgrowing it. The swim platform out back makes a surprisingly big difference. I was in the market for a boat from 18 - 21 feet, with a beer money budget. It's me, my two teen girls and the girlfriend and her Australian Sheppard. Rated for 8, but 4 & a dog is plenty. Comfortably 5...maybe 6 if you've got some little ones. Maybe.

I grew up with boats as a kid back East on Long Island. Sport fishing boats, bow riders and stripped down center console Boston Whalers. 18' gets cozy, and you are constantly fighting clutter, BUT easier on gas, easier to trailer.

I'd be happy with either one. Frankly, go for the one in better condition with better service records. There will always be some little project with boats, but you don't want to see any deferred maintenance when it come to the engine & the drive.
BrianC72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:07 AM   #18
Lt. Commander

Just an addition to consider if you haven’t yet made the purchase.... consider trailer-ability (I’m going to make some assumptions here)... 18’ I assume has a single axle trailer, 21’ a tandem which will be much nicer to pull down the highway and won’t try and drive you around as bad as the single axle and isn’t as scary if you have a tire issue while towing. Being from BC we appreciate it when the red plates aren’t scared of what they are towing when you venture into the mountains(I kid of course [emoji13] )

In all seriousness though, one of the reasons I initially looked for a 21’ or larger boat was to get a tandem axle trailer for how much nicer they are to tow realizing the extra parts (also operating on a beer budget here).

And to speak to two foot itis....it’s been 2 full seasons now and I want a bigger boat [emoji4].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000, 2100SR 5.7 Alpha 1 Gen 2
Overboard is offline   Reply With Quote