Old 05-18-2017, 01:54 AM   #1
Ensign

Default AC Freezing

Thanks for the help. I also had the ac running and noticed it stopped cooling. When I lifted the cover there was frost all over. I turned it off and the frost melted off. Then when I turned it back on, it worked fine. Does this mean it is going?

jengalati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:06 AM   #2
Captain

Only reason an ac freezes is low Freon. Gonna need a top up soon.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:07 AM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengalati View Post
Thanks for the help. I also had the ac running and noticed it stopped cooling. When I lifted the cover there was frost all over. I turned it off and the frost melted off. Then when I turned it back on, it worked fine. Does this mean it is going?

Typically either not enough air flow, clogged filter or low on freon.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:43 PM   #4

Make sure the mesh filter is clean. Make sure the coils are clean. Make sure the intake vent to the space is clean. If it's blowing cold and steady, then trying turning down the AC slightly. This can often help a lot.

If it's still freezing, as stated, take a look at freon.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:08 PM   #5
Captain

Let's put some of the debate on this to bed....

There is only one way nominally pure water can freeze at atmospheric pressure: cooling it below 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

There is only one way the evaporator coil of an single speed ac unit goes below freezing: low side pressure too low.

Now, there are a couple of ways it can get too low, but 99.99% of the time, that is because there is insufficient freon in the system to maintain low side pressure after the compressor sucks away its draw.

Sometimes a system can operate seemingly normally for years with too low of a low side pressure, generally when there is enough warm air flowing over the coil to offset the below temp freon inside the coil and maintain a surface temperature of above freezing.

If airflow or dirty filters are causing the freeze up, your system is on the bubble, and is heading for a freon recharge.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:16 PM   #6
Admiral

I had this problem with my old cruise air unit on my 3000. After getting my freon checked by an hvac mechanic it was ok. Plan b....when turning on your a/c first start 4 or 5 degrees from your ambient temperature. Let the a/c recycle, fan only, and that will keep the unit from freezing over. So if it is 90 in the cabin start at 85 and go down 5 degrees after the unit recycles at a time. This worked liked a charm for me and never did freeze over. If it is 90 degrees in your cabin and you set the a/c at 65 it will freeze over. Go slow and let the unit recycle.

Good luck

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote