Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-11-2010, 03:00 AM   #1
Ensign

Default About to buy 2008 2400 SR3

I would appreciate any comments of owners of this boat? Let me know what engine and outfrive you have and how it performs? Also what option do you wish you hadon this boat

seancarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:31 AM   #2
Admiral

Talking

well sean....first off ...welcome to the zoo...second off...I had the 2455, which is similar in size and performance....3rd...that boat if it has the 5.0 ltr carbed engine with the alpha one drive will be really really under powered...
options depend on where your going to boat with it and what kind of boating your going to do....cruise..camp....water ski....fish....there are a million options and that's what makes boating so much fun....you can personalize it your way..
so..for engines lets start with min. 5.0mpi...b3 drive option....there's a saying in boating...you never complain about having too much hp......so..I'd recommend the 5.7ltr mpi/b3 drive option....auto trim tabs....if your in a warm area...ac for being on the dock......I'd also have a good vhf/gps/fish finder installed....then the rest is up to you...

might try and introduce yourself a bit so we can help out better...I'm just mentioning what I'd have in a boat..

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Sean,

The 2400 SR3 is the bow riding version of the 2400 SC3 - which my wife and I own. With that, here's how I'd option it at a minimum.

1st, like Seapuppy advises, I believe the 350 MAG MPI with the B3 drive is the starting point, especially in the SR3 since you can potentially put so many bodies (weight) on the boat. If you really have a choice of engines (instead of what is already installed on boats that dealers have in stock), and you don't think the 350 MAG MPI/B3 combination will cut it, I'd skip over the 377 altogether and go to the 496 MAG MPI/B3. The 377 just doesn't have enough extra HP/TQ to justify a 4K + premium over the 350. The 496 adds only 75 HP, but adds a boat load more torque over the 350 or 377.

Keep in mind though that how you use the boat will dictate which power package is needed. If it's just going to be you + a significant other + a kid or two the 5.0/A1 or B3 will be sufficient but the 350/B3 will be more fun. If you routinely load that boat with 6 or 7 the 350/B3 then becomes sufficient and the 496 will be more fun. Case in point: we took our grown kids (3) plus 2 of their friends (for a total of 7) out for a day of tubing. With 2 people on the tube and 5 on deck the 350MM/B3 did perfectly fine but took a few extra seconds longer to get on plan. So, the 350MM/B3 at a minimum in this boat.

If you're getting a tailer go with galvanized unless you'll be boating exclusively in fresh water.
Trim tabs
Probably one of the portable heads that are offered (there WILL be emergencies).
The sport seating option for the cockpit, which I believe is more useful than the standard seating which my SC3 has.
Entertainment Center (AKA sink with fresh water in the cockpit - nice to have)
If you plan to beach this thing bow first frequently the bow ladder would be nice.
Dual battery switch (assuming it also comes with the actual 2nd battery)
Carpet runners (it's really nice to have carpet under foot but they definitely are more maintenance. If they stay wet mold will grow. Best to pull them up after an outing to let them dry)
I assume a bimini top comes standard - you want at least that. You may want the other various canvases - depending on how you use and store the boat.
If it were me I'd opt for the teak swim platform. It adds a nice touch of class to an otherwise ho-hum (but functional) design.
Probably the factory installed fire supression system.
Factory digital depth indicator (unless you go with an aftermarket GPS/Depth/FF set up.

Aside from the above, if you'll be boating in unfamiliar waters, or in large bodies of water, a GPS and a VHF like Seapuppy advised.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

Sean,

Dan and SP pretty much covered it all. Since mine is a 2008 1900SR3, I can't add much - then than to say - welcome, congrats on the new boat and good luck!
New Boat 8/13/11: Chaparral 206SSI with 5.0 VP GXI SX
Prior Boat: 2008 Maxum 1900SR3, 4.3L V6 190HP, Alpha 1 (great boat)
2010 Ford 150 XLT Super Crew 5.4L V-8, tow package
2008 Infiniti G-35
Brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:19 AM   #5
Ensign

Default Just Do It

Go for it.....for the $, its a good buy.
I have a 2006 2400 SR3 (now 200 hrs on her) and like it a lot.
I have the 350 mag/bravo III which is a good engine and drive,
and happy with its performance. Not a single issue to date, engine,
drive or boat. BTW: I am also very very fussy/anal about my toys, keeping
them in perfect shape, pristine and always like new....again no problems
or complaints from someone who always finds faults.
Typically WOT> 50 mph, under ideal conditions I got her to 52.
see att: http://www.boattest.com/Partners/Par...oid=903&p=0&s=

My partner/next slip last year bought the 2009 with the 496.
see: http://www.foxlakeharbor.com/framese...arch_new_boats

IMHO: I am a old gear head and love power, that said, I like the idea of the 496 because of the extra
HP and torque, however, for me, the extra power/torque does not justify the +++cost. The difference
in performance (my buddy > 57 mph and we get to plane at the same time/496 is heavier).
Other notes: Here- chain o lake /IL the 496 is only offered with closed cooling. He had lots of problems with
over heating, but I believe that was due to him constantly taking in mud/silt/etc. as the chain o lakes/IL are
really just puddles, very shallow, 2-3' very common. He sits lower due to the heavier engine, but
we go/slip in the same places and I have never over heated.
Another thing I noticed is: I have no idea how you access/remove/service the batteries with the
496 as there is no room...and I mean no room. Its a PITA even with the 350, but impossible on
his with the 496.
He also got the upgraded audio system and it is kick *****.
These boats have plenty of room and storage, handle well, and can hold a lots of folks comfortably.
We cruise, ski, party and its a good all around boat.
One other note: Like I mentioned, I have the B3 and love it, it came on the boat when I bought it,
but I would have also considered the single prop version B1, as the dual prop in shallow waters by
us gets pretty expensive if you hit something hard as you typically also damage the prop shafts
and bearings. Also the B3 props (2) are matched and 4x the cost of a typical single prop in SS
($1200 vs. $300) to replace, plus possible cost for shafts, bearings, etc.. Its performavnce
is outstanding though......again, go for it, I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Liquid Diet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:31 AM   #6
Admiral

Talking

welcome to the zoo there LD....good report out on your boat!!.

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Captain

hai sean and carroll (i think) first off al welcom to you from a snowy and white holland in europe, me and my wife bought the 2009 2400 sc3 and we love it. it's spacy and equipt with all the extra's you can think off.( teak wooden table, entertainment centre, upgraded stereo, camper canvas hood, etc etc.) she has the 5 ltr mercruiser alpha one under the hood....more than enough yes it's the cuddy because we are intent to stay over for some nights this comming season. if you just use the boat for making trips with frends and family than you buy one of the most spaciest boat there is on the market....so good luck with her

greatz, ed & inge
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Well done LD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Diet View Post
Another thing I noticed is: I have no idea how you access/remove/service the batteries with the 496 as there is no room...and I mean no room. Its a PITA even with the 350, but impossible on his with the 496.
So true. Many things on these boats were well thought out but battery access wasn't one of them. The access door is too small to get the battery through it so one must lift and slide the battery past the exhaust manifold then turn it to pass the in front of the engine before lifting it out, wrestling with it the whole way. Getting it back in is even worse if you're attempting to get it back into the battery box. And that's with the 350. How it's done with the wider and longer 496 is a mystery.

One of my projects this spring is to install a battery switch and second battery. First order of business is to see if the existing access door can be removed and replaced with a larger one. I'll probably go with sealed batteries so I can ditch the battery box(s) and hold down straps all together and use simple trays with bolt on hold-downs.

What were those boys thinkin!

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote