Old 05-01-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
Ensign

Default '94 scr2700... newbie needs help!!!

I'm new here and really glad I found this place.

I've been searching for my first boat since 2 seasons ago and I think I finally found it. It's a 1994 scr 2700. It was for sale last year and the year before (I think). It only has the bimini top (no sides or back) and is dirty from sitting without covers but otherwise it looks good. The only thing that makes me nervous is the asking price of 12,000. I know it has the Bravo 3 dual prop outdrive but not sure of the engine. Oh, and one of the prop blades are bent over good.

I've still got to get my friend to sea trial it and see if it's worthy of paying for a professional survey.

I'll be using it for my wife and two young kids. Ideally I'd like to be able to tote 3 or 4 adults and 3 or 4 kids once in a while.

Any insight to this boat would be a huge help: what should I look for on a sea trial?, what are common problems with this boat?, Is it underpowered?

What should I expect to pay for the rest of the canvas?

Thanks so much for your help.

Mike
City Island, NY

Gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:06 PM   #2
Admiral

Hi Gilligan....I have the 2003 model yr 2700scr...I love the boat...I also have the B3 drive and the only difference is yours will probably have a big block....now...couple of things and thoughts come out of me...first off..with a blade bent over on the b3 drive....that drive too one helluva shock when they hit something...I'd make sure the drive is thoroughly checked out if your serious about it....second...is he gonna replace the props...??...they aren't cheap.....a grand for a set of props easy....
the other thing is this is an older b3 drive...they had corrosion issues until something like 97 when they added extra zinc's and a merchathode system for dielectric corrosion prevention......so make sure you check out the drive really closely....any kind of pitting..I'd walk away from it...
the other thing is the engine...how many hrs on it..when was the manifolds last replaced...was it ever flushed after each use (need to talk to the owner on that issue).....preventive maintenance??..tune ups??...etc...last time oils changed??including the leg (aka outdrive).....
make sure you get the stringers inspected and the u-joint checked.....
then there is checking for any kind of transome rot....a simple tap test with a plastic hammer will work.......and finally....off the top of my head....the tops can be had complete for about a grand...we use a complete camper set up and it makes the entire sunbridge useable for entertaining....as for if it will handle adults...yes...if the engine is still strong and the props are in perfect order.....
12k seems like alot to me....I'd offer about 7k and depending on how much damage needs repair...go up from there...check the blue book for a 13 yr old boat...I'm sure 12 k depending on what options he's got is too much if you have to do alot of repairs...drive..engine..manifolds..etc....

hope this helps.....if it scares you in any way...walk away from it...go find another boat.....there are tons out there to drool at......

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks for taking the time with such a lengthy reply.

I will certainly have a pro inspect it so hopefully he'll see a lot of what I don't.

And WOW! on the props... I didn't know they were that much. I thought I saw these boats on NADA for 24,000 but I must have been mistaken, that's why the price scared me.

I don't know what options the boat could come with so I don't know if it's 'loaded' or not. I know it doesn't have a windless (which stinks).

Could I have the prop serviced for less or am I into the prop for a grand?

Also, are those organizations (like carfax for boats) worth running the hull number through?... it costs $50.

...thanks again
Old 05-01-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Admiral

if the boat was in mint condition (like mine ) then yes it's possible for them to ask hi expecting to be talked down....
a number of yrs ago I almost bought a 2755....it was a 95 (I think)..checked out fine except some minor cosmetic stuff...like seats and stuff...he wanted 20k for it...we seatrialed it and it ran and drove fine...anyway...we offered 10 as is...he accepted but I had to walk away due to a strike where I work...but I coulda had the boat for half what he was asking for it....at that price..even sticking a new engine would have made out like a bandit.....
as for the props....you can have them taken off and into a prop shop locally ..hopefully they can rebuild them...depending on how badly damaged they are....sometimes it might be just better to get new .....but overall I think the prop shops can rebuild just about anything....I know my alum. props on my 2455 was about 60 bucks a wack...(as in I smacked it on something again...here...fix it!! :shock: )....stainless will obviously be alot more to repair but still less than new.....just depends on what you wanna spend your money on.....and how deep the pockets are.......

options....vacu flush head....windlass....vhf radios.....am/fm stereo....ac....fresh water cooling system....shore power .....genny.....different engine sizes......full bimini top or half bimini.....no top.....anchor.....just to name a few....have the pro do a complete engine drive check too....
the drive and engine are the most important.........with a bent steel prop..he hit something hard!!!....i'd be really concerned with that.....
hope this helps.....let us know what you decide......
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 05-13-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
Ensign

Well, after snooping around the yard I found out that the boat was fully sunk a few years ago.

Sorry, but I just can't hear that and feel good.

I just put a deposit on an '86 Bayliner Contessa that I'm waiting to have surveyed...

wish me luck!

Thanks for the help and insight.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:08 PM   #6
Admiral

well..it's good thing you found out first...about the only real issue I'd be concerned with would be the wiring....but it's all good boating and please feel free to continue to visit our little hole in the internet!!...best of luck with the contessa......

Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang