Old 01-17-2015, 01:38 AM   #1
Captain

Default 5 months in the water

I come from smaller, trailered boats. My 3000 scr has been in the water for 5 months now. Longest I've ever had a boat in the water.

A pull out is coming soon for new trim lines and a trim tab ram.

I'd like to hear some stories of pulling a long wetted boat. What horrors have you found?

Kevlar7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:18 AM   #2
Admiral

Nothing to it Kevin. ...I use to do it every year. You already know how to drive onto a trailer . That is the hard part. Have someone there to guide you up to the bow winch to make the hook. Make sure you got a good hold on the bow eye from the winch. Drives up and giddy up the ramp.

Now when you are all done fixing and unload the boat off the trailer depending on the angle of the ramp and how high the bow winch post is you might have to take the anchor out from under the pulpit and just lay it on top of the bow cause it might hit the winch post. That is the only thing I had to do differently with mine.

Have fun !

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #3

Marine growth is about the biggest issue. The amount depends on where you boat, how long the boat has been in the water, how well to bottom was painted, the choice of paint for that particular body of water, and how frequently the boat was run.

I'd make sure to have it pressure washed. I would make sure every bit of marine growth is removed. I would pay particularly close attention to all pickups. These can get clogged with barnacles in saltwater environments. Also inspect any submerged metal parts for corrosion. If the boat is going to be wet slipped year round, then take the time to ensure everything it clean.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:29 PM   #4
Captain

I added a fresh coat of the water based bottom paint before we launched. From what I can see of the bottom, it looks good, but I know there were some spots that didn't get the fresh coat, because of what it was propped up on. I dove on the outdrives recently, and they have a little hair from what I can feel. I can't trim them up right now, so I haven't been able to see them.

I am mostly in brackish water, a little time in the ocean. I know I've lost a couple of zinks, so hopefully the mercathode system has taken care of me.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:21 AM   #5
Captain

Mostly, I was trying to start an interesting conversation what people have found under their boats.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:30 PM   #6
Admiral

Best way to keep the bottom clean is to use the boat often.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar7r View Post
Mostly, I was trying to start an interesting conversation what people have found under their boats.
Clogged pickups. Barnacles, barnacles, barnacles. What is really interesting is to see boats that have sat for so long, they have a green beard when they're hauled. MMMMM smells like fall.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:51 PM   #8
Captain

Philbo, I try to! One good thing about my dock, is it is a tidal river, so twice a day tons of water flows each direction past the boat. Seems to be helping, I think.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:54 PM   #9
Admiral

Kev in my experience bottom paints do a good job and the most you get is some scum at the water line, however I/O paints are not so good and scum and barnacles are common. The more use the boat gets lessens this but unless its used daily just one of those things you have to deal with. Anodes will last 6 months to a year depending on the salt content and possible stray currents. IMO I would not want to relay on the mercathode without anodes.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #10
Admiral

Up here on the Illinois river I have used Pettit's unpoxy plus for years and does a good job on the slim. I don't do anything to the drives other than taking a scrubby on them during the summer on the beach thing. A good power wash at the end of the season will shine them up for winter.

With the anodes I would change them at least every other year. I added a round anode to my trim tabs on each side and helps tremendously.

I would make sure your anodes are all the same metal. I use aluminum not zinc or magnesium.

Hope this helps.
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:08 PM   #11

Regarding sacrificial anodes, here is an interesting article from Martyr. I would consider them to be the 'end-all' of sacrificial anode discussions. Kind of like asking Taylor or Polyform about fenders. LOL Anyway, it's an interesting read on the differences between Zinc, Magnesium and Aluminum.

http://www.martyranodes.com/content/...m%20Anodes.pdf