Old 03-12-2011, 01:53 AM   #1
Ensign

Default 4100 SCA Forward Cabin Leaks

I have a 1999 4100 SCA and have experienced fresh water leaks in the forward cabin above the water line. I repaired the first which was caused by deck water coming through the anchor line opening. It then traveled down behind a piece of plywood that splices the two halves of the bulkhead between the anchor rope locker and the forward stateroom.

The second leak has me stumped. It is on the port side between the mattress platform and the side shelf. I have removed the carpet and can see the water dripping through two small cracks. There is a hollow wire raceway in that area but I can not determine where the water is coming from.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Two Impulsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:26 AM   #2
Admiral

Probably coming from the rubrail....gently remove the rubber from the track....use an awl or a phillips screw driver....use a hair dryer or heat gun set on low to soften the rubber rail.....you should see some screws ...remove them and reseal them with silicone sealant....clear......replace all screws...if you see rivets...seal them....then work the rub rail back in with a rubber mallet....gently....you can pound it in but don't get too carried away with beating to a pulp.....

after you seal the track....then run a bead along the top and bottom of the track.....wipe all the excess off.....that should stop the water from coming in...also check the base of the radar arch...should have a bead of white silicone sealant 4200 around the joint between the arch bottom and the crown of the boat....

and welcome to the zoo!!

Sp

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
Ensign

Default Still Leaking

This boat does not have the hidden screws securing the rubber rub rail. The screws are exposed thru a metal strip which sandwitches a rubber strip up against the hull. The water is getting into the raceway that gets the anchor motor wire from the helm to the motor. Could it be condensation? Could it be a leak at the helm that runs dowm to this point? Has me baffled.
Two Impulsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
Admiral

could be alot of things since I don't see the boat and where the water is...water can pool/run from almost anyplace...the thing to do is to eliminate as many places as you can....first off ..the easiest is the rub rail....now although you say it's not the usual bumper type....it can still allow water in...so...run a bead of clear 4200 along the top and bottom of the rail....to about half way aft from the bow on both sides of the hull both top and bottom of the rail.....see if you get water then....then go to each bow rail stancheons....see if those are loose....if so...pull each one at the base apart and reseal those...(those are the usual culprits)....
then go to the anchor and check the anchor mounts and fittings....that's about all there is up there that can let water in..
can it be condensation??..sure...that's why most of us keep a heater going during the winter months..

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 03:58 PM   #5
Ensign

Did you ever figure out your leak? We are experiencing the same on port side by mattress base. We are stumped. Also - does anyone know what’s under vip stateroom bed? Has anyone ever removed panels with the marine vinyl? We want to look behind but do not know how hard to put back it will be?
gmsmith491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 03:06 PM   #6
Lt. JG

On my 2001, under the v-berth bed is storage and under the aft bed is water tank and AC unit, below that is the blackwater holding tank. I've removed ceiling panels carefully with a hard plastic spatula
Jorgeinseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 02:00 PM   #7
Ensign

If the rub rail ends up not being your problem, check out your cup holders. On many boats, they are screwed into the hull, and over time people will step on them and loosen the screws. Once the screws work, loose water can get in and run a long way before you find it.