Old 03-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to BayBoy
Default 3200 SCR - Access to windlass wiring harness

Anyone know how to get to the windlass wiring harness (helm to bow)? I need to install a spotlight and the wiring harness will most liking run in parallel with the windlass harness. Maxum Customer service stated that I need to pull off the starboard rubrail and there are screws behind it that hold the cover panels in the cabin that run along the gunwale. The harness is supposed to be behind the panel. Just wanted to see if anyone has actually done this with sucess before I start pulling things apart.

BayBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
Ensign

Yes I have. By removing screws from the rub rail the inner panel above the windows will come away. The harness is tucked in there. It will require a second person to refit as one will need to hold inner panel in place and the other can re-insert screws through rub rail.

Take note of which screw you remove from each hole as they vary in lenght and may cause damage if they are too long and come through your inner linings

good luck

Old 03-31-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Thanks. Is there a path to pull wire behind the head? There is about 3' between the opening under the helm station where the harness wiring is routed and where the bolster pad starts. It looks like there is a molded channel above the head port light but until I pull the bolster off I can't tell if I can pull wire directly behind the head or have to route it down and around somehow.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Update: removed the bolster panels as described and while there was not any existing wiring actually running behind the pad it did provide a hidden channel to run the wire I needed. I was able to gain access to the bow pulpit via the anchor locker hatch and was also able to route cable behind the head by using the formed channel above the head port light. I had to pull the GFI and corresponding JB in order to tie a pull tape to my wire fish but was able to sucessfully get a run all the way from the bow pulpit to the helm. Of course the light only came with a 15' cable which was about 10' too short but the extension cable is on the way and the pull tape is in place to pull the cable to the helm. Wasn't as bad as I thought. I am sure I will have another installation of some sort that will pay me back two fold however.