Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-04-2015, 02:33 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default 3000SCR advice

Greetings all from the newest of Newbies.

I have a line on a 99 3000SCR. 5.7 with Bravo II's 327 hrs. Stored inside in a heated warehouse. The boat looks immaculate. The only option it apears not to have is a generator. I am new to powerboating "for pleasure" though I drive one for a living. The only boats I've ever owned have been sailboats in the 26-30ft range.

Other than the obvious mechanincal issues (having a survey done), is there anything specific to Maxums or this model in general to which I should pay extra attention? As well, I am debating whether or not I need a genny. I'm assuming the obvious that everything will work at the dock while connected to shore power. Without I genny, what am I losing at sea/anchor?

thanks in advance for your words of wisom

Bush

bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
Admiral

A basic survey will check the boat for structure as well that all accessories work. What is not checked in depth is the health of the engines and drives, not all surveyors can perform this more in-depth check.

When not on shore power all AC powered equipment will not work; A/C, Microwave, Battery Charger, ...

The frig should be dual volt and run on 12V when not on AC power.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
Admiral

The 5.7L sounds like a small engine for a boat that size. Take a couple buddies with you when you sea trial it.

Unless it has twins and I read it wrong. If so then just ignore me.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #4

I don't think they made a 3000 with a single. To my knowledge that was a twin only. I have seen twin 4.3's and twin 5.0's. I've never seen the 3000 with twin 5.7's. I have seen this option in 3200 and 3300's.

Twin 5.7 would have been the top of the line engine package for the model year, or a repower by the PO.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:11 PM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
The 5.7L sounds like a small engine for a boat that size. Take a couple buddies with you when you sea trial it.

Unless it has twins and I read it wrong. If so then just ignore me.

What's that buzzing noise

He did say "Bravo II's " which is plural

It must be all that warm weather you get

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:32 PM   #6
Admiral

Bush... I have a 01 3000scr with TWIN 5.0L's and bravo ll's. They have carbs. My surveyor tapped the high speed out at 42 mph on his GPS. I also have the standard props which are aluminum.

I have owned the boat since 09 and we love it. I have replace all rubber everywhere from impellars to outdrive boots and just do the regular maintenance and she has been a good boat for us. Your 350's will be plenty horsepower! I don't have a genny, kind of wanted one but don't miss it. I can always go buy a Honda 2000 or something if I need one.

I am looking into new thru hulls to replace and my a/c pan is starting to rust and thinking about replacing the whole unit.

All in all I would buy this boat again....

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:06 AM   #7
Lt. JG

Default 2004 -3100se

it's essentially the same boat that I have -2004- 3100se. I had the engines replaced with 5.7's and bravo 2's with regular aluminum props and we have had it up to 44mph on gps. plenty of power and A great ride.... we moved up from a 1996 2400SCR and love it! Great boat, plenty of power...
dave
davevaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:41 AM   #8
Lieutenant

I have confirmed with the owner that it has twin 5.7's and will top out in the low 40's kts. The boat has always been in fresh water with heated winter storage. It has been out of the water for two seasons in heated storage. Looks like a go!

thanks for the words of wisdom

Bush
Old 03-09-2015, 02:34 AM   #9
Admiral

Like yours Bush our boat sat in storage also and almost immediately I had to change my impellers and that winter had new boots put on the drives so be careful in that aspect.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:51 AM   #10
Lieutenant

Part of the deal is that his mechanic who is ALSO our company boat mechanic (Whom I trust) is going to go over it with a fine tooth comb. If the batteries, impellers need replacing it will be done before the sale. The boat will be mechanically/electronically sound before it goes.

thanks

Bush