Old 06-30-2016, 02:17 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2700 SCR info?

I am in the market and have found a 2000 2700 SCR with a 06 tri axle trailer locally for $23K obo. I've been looking for information on these boats and I cant find much except its similar in quality to Rinker, Caravelle, Bayliner etc. When I go to see this boat I would like to know what I should look for in the way of things that are typical ware items as well as known issues with this year and model boat. I grew up boating and I have an advanced knowledge of mechanics and can recognize those issues if need be. Just looking for the less obvious things that an owner would know.
From the looks of it, its a clean boat with no dock rash or torn/worn interior. It also has less than 400 hours on the 7.4 Merc and bravo 3 at the moment. it also comes with a new canvas top and plastic. from the pictures I would give it an 8.5/10. I appreciate your input

airbornexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard

Go to the Documents tab of this site maxum manuals and you'll find the 2000 2700 one. You'll also want to get the merc manuals for the engine and drive there.

Very nice boat as a friend of mine has one. Nothing special to look for from any other boat this age and size.

Mike
mmwjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #3
Ensign

got to looking at this boat and the interior is as I expected and I'm ok with that. However, he did mention that he had the bottom repainted. I didn't think much of this at the time, but as I got there to inspect this I noticed that it was painted on the trailer and the paint job looks terrible as it looked like it ran and the fact that under the bunks are white stripes. I realize that this is below the water line, but can this be used to hide damage and should I be more or less concerned about this ?
Attached Thumbnails
6.jpg   5.jpg   1.jpg  
Old 07-05-2016, 10:53 PM   #4
Admiral

Put it in the water and look for leaks but I would think its ok.

Look the bottom over for big gouges in the bottom.

Mike
Old 07-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #5

Painting a bottom with anti-fouling paint is very common for boats stored in the water for extended periods of time. Anti-fouling paint is thick and is not going to look like an automotive paint job. The purpose is not cosmetic. It sounds like it was painted while it was on the trailer.

I doubt this is done to conceal damage. In fact, the paint job actually looks pretty good from the pictures.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:04 PM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Painting a bottom with anti-fouling paint is very common for boats stored in the water for extended periods of time. Anti-fouling paint is thick and is not going to look like an automotive paint job. The purpose is not cosmetic. It sounds like it was painted while it was on the trailer.

I doubt this is done to conceal damage. In fact, the paint job actually looks pretty good from the pictures.
Yes, it was painted on the trailer. The paint job is ok for the most part, but there are spots where the paint ran a little and wasn't smoothed out. The rest looks good. I was just hoping that this wasn't a cheap attempt to cover damage and it sounds like it isn't.
I'm going to water test this boat tomorrow and if the compression test comes out good and she runs well I will hopefully be bringing it home pending price negotiation.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:29 PM   #7
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

If it runs the numbers that it is supposed to the compression test will come back good.

But just an FYI, a cylinder leak down test is more accurate.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:51 PM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
If it runs the numbers that it is supposed to the compression test will come back good.

But just an FYI, a cylinder leak down test is more accurate.
I agree, but I don't think I will have time to get that done. All I have is a middle of the road compression tester so it will have to do. IF this boat can run WOT and nothing sounds funny I should be good. its got less than 400 hours on it.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:33 PM   #9

I would suggest getting a survey done on the boat.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:59 PM   #10
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
I would suggest getting a survey done on the boat.
A survey? Can you elaborate?
Old 07-08-2016, 04:25 PM   #11
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
A survey? Can you elaborate?
Ok not sure where in the world you are as we have members around the globe.

A survivor is skilled in inspecting boats and is required by some insurance and loan companies. They inspect and rate the boats condition.

Note most are not trained to perform engine and running gear inspections other than minor checks such as oil analysis and looking for leaks and temps.

Mike
Old 07-11-2016, 05:46 PM   #12
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Ok not sure where in the world you are as we have members around the globe.

A survivor is skilled in inspecting boats and is required by some insurance and loan companies. They inspect and rate the boats condition.

Note most are not trained to perform engine and running gear inspections other than minor checks such as oil analysis and looking for leaks and temps.
So I went ahead and bought it! I took it out for about a 30-40 minute cruise and put it through the paces and it performed as expected. After we pulled it out I took it up to the marina and everything checked out.

I only have a few minor things to fix from the looks of it so far. mostly a bolt missing here and there or the canopy that needs adjusted and some other odds and ends.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:42 PM   #13
Admiral

Congrats

Post some pics.

Mike
Old 07-12-2016, 01:50 AM   #14
Ensign

Where in central Illinois do you go boating? Thinking of buying a similar boat just a few years older. Good looking boat for sure.
phatgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:18 AM   #15
Ensign

I rented a slip at Findlay Marina on Lake Shelbyville. Only lake around here big enough for a boat this size.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #16
Ensign

Good deal. Been on Lake Shelbyville lots. Beautiful lake for sure. I go to Clinton lake more often though.
phatgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:37 PM   #17
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatgee View Post
Good deal. Been on Lake Shelbyville lots. Beautiful lake for sure. I go to Clinton lake more often though.
I take my Jetski to Clinton a lot, If you have seen (or heard the charger whistle and waterline exhaust) the black and red 06 RXP Seadoo that was me.