Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-11-2015, 11:02 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2400se engine hatch struts

So I'm wondering if any maxim 2400 se owners out therecould tell me about the length of the engine hatch struts when the strut is extended with hatch open and what pound rating they have by the numbers on the strut itself. I need to buy two of them for mine, but couldn't find any store or other online guidance. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

captsavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:43 PM   #2
Admiral

Capt.......maxim is a women's magazine ......and their struts are pretty awesome. But maxum the boat I would suggest that you measure short and long lengths of your struts to compare for new ones. West Marine have them. I have been told that they are rated by how many pounds they can handle. Google gas struts and I am sure you will find them.

Are you missing yours? I did Google west marine and they have them listed by open and closed position length and weight capacity.

Good luck

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:37 AM   #3
Ensign

I Don't have the struts. So I'm Looking for the open position length and the pound/weight capacity listed on your 2400se engine hatch strut.

You are so right. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ! ! ! maxim/maxum. Thank you biggerseagar!
Old 01-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
Admiral

Capt what year is your boat? Maybe some with this model can provide the measurements but is not can you measure from the two mounting point with the hatch in the open and closed positions to get them?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:28 PM   #5
Admiral

measuring the length when closed may be a bit of a challenge.

Take one to an auto parts store, they should be able to match them up.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
measuring the length when closed may be a bit of a challenge.

Take one to an auto parts store, they should be able to match them up.
Unfortunately the OP says they are missing, post #3

Mike
Old 01-13-2015, 06:13 PM   #7
Ensign

My boat is the 2004 maxum 2400se. I don't have the struts to measure.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:44 PM   #8
Ensign

I realize this is an old thread but did you find a solution? I’m in the same boat.
Slow-roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:19 AM   #9
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow-roller View Post
I realize this is an old thread but did you find a solution? I’m in the same boat.
Welcome aboard

Using tape put one piece on the deck in line with the mount in the eng8ne compartment and another on the hatch in line with the anchor point on it. Close the hatch and measure the distance between the two pieces and get ones that match this length.

Mike
Old 08-07-2019, 01:34 AM   #10
Admiral

I'm confused..... anyone else?
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:42 AM   #11
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Welcome aboard

Using tape put one piece on the deck in line with the mount in the eng8ne compartment and another on the hatch in line with the anchor point on it. Close the hatch and measure the distance between the two pieces and get ones that match this length.
Thanks... but that doesn’t help me. I have no problem matching up struts by length. But what I (and it seems most others) are lacking is pound rating. The original shocks seem to be made of un-obtanium as there is nothing online to cross reference and even the manufacturer discontinued them. One of the shocks on my boat CAN be provided by the original manufacturer to the time of $160.00. Yeah, no thanks.
Slow-roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:19 AM   #12
Admiral

Quote:
Not sure if I confused you or slow-roller.

Measure the distance between the two mounts when the hatch is closed.

Mike
Old 08-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #13
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow-roller View Post
Thanks... but that doesn’t help me. I have no problem matching up struts by length. But what I (and it seems most others) are lacking is pound rating. The original shocks seem to be made of un-obtanium as there is nothing online to cross reference and even the manufacturer discontinued them. One of the shocks on my boat CAN be provided by the original manufacturer to the time of $160.00. Yeah, no thanks.
Typically the pound ratings as you call it is determined by the struts length. IMO you're overthinking this. Many have used the length as the guide as to what to buy and have not had any issues.

Mike
Old 08-08-2019, 01:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Regarding Mike's post?? No that is a great idea. I was going to suggest taking a flashlight and a measuring tape and close yourself in the engine compartment to measure the distance between the mounts when the hatch is closed.

Mike is suggesting putting a piece of tape on the deck beside where the fixed mount on the deck is located. I'd use some blue painters tape and then mark the exact location with a pen or sharpie. Affix it so that you can see the line with the hatch closed.

Now put a piece of tape on the hatch in line with the mount on the hatch. AGain, use a pen or sharpie and mark the exact location of the mount on the tape. Mark it so that you can see both lines on the deck with the hatch closed.

Now close the hatch and measure between the two lines. This will give the dimensions of the strut in the closed position.

Now hold the hatch open to roughly where you'd like it in the open position. Now measure between the two mounts in a straight line. Now you have the dimensions of the strut in the open position.

Now find a strut that will handle the weight capacity and meets both the open and closed dimensions.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:13 PM   #15
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Regarding Mike's post?? No that is a great idea. I was going to suggest taking a flashlight and a measuring tape and close yourself in the engine compartment to measure the distance between the mounts when the hatch is closed.

Mike is suggesting putting a piece of tape on the deck beside where the fixed mount on the deck is located. I'd use some blue painters tape and then mark the exact location with a pen or sharpie. Affix it so that you can see the line with the hatch closed.

Now put a piece of tape on the hatch in line with the mount on the hatch. AGain, use a pen or sharpie and mark the exact location of the mount on the tape. Mark it so that you can see both lines on the deck with the hatch closed.

Now close the hatch and measure between the two lines. This will give the dimensions of the strut in the closed position.

Now hold the hatch open to roughly where you'd like it in the open position. Now measure between the two mounts in a straight line. Now you have the dimensions of the strut in the open position.

Now find a strut that will handle the weight capacity and meets both the open and closed dimensions.
" I was going to suggest taking a flashlight and a measuring tape and close yourself in the engine compartment to measure the distance between the mounts when the hatch is closed."

you bilge rat

Mike