Old 01-19-2007, 01:34 AM   #1
Ensign

Default 2100SD

Hello everyone, I am new to this group, I found it out of despiration. Has anyone had any problems with the door for the starboard storage area? I purchased my boat in june of '06, the dealer has replaced the door 3x. (no charge to me) The door just does not fit, it looks as though there is a problem with the way the opening was molded, calls to Maxum by the dealer are not being returned. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We love the boat, but the door situation is getting frustrating.

johnnylargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
Admiral

Default welcome to the zoo

a bit more info might help out...like what model boat are we talking about..what door..what is the problem...does it rub..what kind of door is it....my entry door would rub the fiberglass when the boat was cold...it's made out of starboard plastic...so...I took a flat file too it and shaved it down some...now it opens and closes without rubbing at all....so far so good...

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
Ensign

I guesss that would help! The boat is a '06 2100SD The door is the Starboard side door under the helm. (cooler & table Storage) The door is straight, but the opening has a bend to it. leaving a 1/2 in opening at the bottom of the door.
johnnylargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
Admiral

Default door

k...is the trim around the opening removeable??..in other words can you disassemble the whole assembly??..if so..do that...fill the holes that are in the area that ...smooth out the fiberglass edge that isn't straight...apply that blue tape around the edge...and then use the trim as a template and mark the holes that need to be redrilled...remove the trim and drill the holes and counter sink..then use ibm 4200 silicon seal and seal it install the door assembly....that should straighten it out...if I understand the problem correctly...good luck.....
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:22 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Default Fit and finish

Howdy..
Hope I can help you. I have a 2100SC built in 2004 and I've worked with the Maxum folks somewhat to try and get our model's deficiencies corrected. They are a little slow however in incorporating my finds...

If you visit my web site http://sempreveloce.tripod.com/ or the link http://www.maxumowners.org/Smaller2100SC.html
you will see some of the fixes..

I don't recall the way the Sports Deck model does the rear seat, but if it has that plastic Oval you really need to put the "T" support behind it or you could be cruising for a bruising. That second link I have above has a picture about half way down where you can see the speakers I installed about mid way in the picture.. Near the top is a T that is 2 pieces of plywood glued together. the top of the "T" rests against the inner side of the hull and the bottom of the "T" has two stainless woodscrews that are flathead and hold the support firmly to the backside of the plastic oval.

You can see that I replaced the rear hold back strap with stainless tubing, and also have a hatch like grate that prevents twisted ankles.

Without pictures it is hard to understand the "Bend" you are trying to overcome. My guess is that a piece of angle iron and a couple of stainless nuts and bolts might be a better solution, but I would have to see exactly what you are up against.

Fits and finish in the 2100 line were poor in my estimation. I've had the entire inner gunnel plywood replaced by the factory, and the second go round was not much better than the first. The vinyl seat coverings have cracks and they too have been replaced, ( the new ones cracked in the first season of use). The use of overlapping plywood to create the multi colored scheme in the cockpit is so thin that the screws do not have enough wood to bite into.

These are all things that Maxum could improve with just slight modifications, but I haven't seen them yet. I think as owners, we might be stuck doing our own upgrades and sharing them.

Last year I installed tabs and it made a wonderful difference in the 2100SC, but don't expect to see it as an option anytime soon. The rear doors as you face aft are useless as in my model one needs to lift the entire rear cushion in order to open the door. Shorthening this door by inches, or just lowering the hole would make access allowable without lifting the cushion.. another tip I passed on that's awaiting implementation.

All in all if you can post some pictures, the board here might be able to come up with a solid solution..

At least you can use your boat this weekend.. mine is encapsulated in plastic for the winter, so all I can do at this point is whine..

(I've been told I do a pretty good job of that!)

hehehe

KKKKFL
Franco_2100SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:15 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Default just in case

If you want to know more about tabs just ask...

I can pass along what I've found
KKKKFL

Franco_2100SC is offline   Reply With Quote