Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-13-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Send a message via AIM to TBarCYa
Default 2008 1800mx helm seat mount

Does anyone know how the OEM seat pedestal is mounted to the sole? I'm guessing that it uses stainless toggles but I don't want to remove the bolts unless I know for sure. I'd hate to remove the bolts and have a nut or whatever on the underside fall out and be unrecoverable.

What I'm looking to do is replace the OEM pedestal with one that is about 3-6" higher because I'm short and like to see over the windshield when I drive.

Thanks.

2008 Maxum 1800MX - 'Lottie-Da'
https://www.tombarcia.net/lottie-da/index.htm
TBarCYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider
Default Re: 2008 1800mx helm seat mount

Do you mean the base attaching to the floor? If so its just stainless steel deck screws... they screw into the floor and can be easily removed.

I have seen several people use thick plywood underneath it in a pattern that matches the base plate to lift the seat up a little... so long as you use decent quality stuff and paint it with resin it should be good for a good few years; witht he bonus of it being a cheap solution and removable come boat sale time.

You could even dress it up with some vinyl to match the boats interior if you have a spare hour and $50 to burn 8)

Alternatively, it's a pretty standard mount for the seat... could be worth finding a bolster seat like in the 1800 SR3's - many boats have them... so pretty much any seat with similar upholstery would work... if you could pick one up cheap (from a wrecked boat for example) this could be an option.

Now if you really had alot of spare time.... and wanted something pimping... you could buy a linear actuator and put a switch on the dash to make the seat raise and lower electronically...

Old 05-15-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
Lt. Commander

Send a message via AIM to TBarCYa
Default Re: 2008 1800mx helm seat mount

The base to the floor is exactly what I'm talking about but I was hoping for something a little better than deck screws. At least I don't have to worry about the backing plate falling into the hull.

You've got some great ideas but I'm thinking that just replacing the base/pedestal may be my best bet. I was looking to see if anyone has a seat mount or spider that raises the seat but I'm not having any luck.

Thanks.

2008 Maxum 1800MX - 'Lottie-Da'
https://www.tombarcia.net/lottie-da/index.htm
TBarCYa is offline   Reply With Quote