Old 04-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2000 Maxum 2800SCR Boarding Door Hatch Rattle

I have the original style (Barrel Bolt Latch) lock on the small door where you board the boat from the stern/ransom. It rattles loose all the time and drives us nuts. With a 10 year old boat, I am sure it is worn. I was wondering if anyone had an idea for a new style or a similar problem and how they fixed it. There seems to be endless latches out there. I don’t want to turn a small job into a entire weekend job.

Carolina Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Admiral

I moved this to the general thread since it's not a project...but a question concerning an existing issue....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks, understand the logic.
Carolina Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #4

Take a look at www.Perko.com under
Locks and Latches. http://www.perko.com/catalog/categor...s_and_latches/. They make a large variety (more so than what is typically in inventory at the local chandlery and even what the big stores post online). Once you find something you like, you can get anyone who carries Perko (They ALL carry something from Perko) to order it for you.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

If you come up with a solution, I'd love to know. 2900SCR with the same problem.
Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:46 AM   #6
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID

I had the same problem with my 2900 SCR... I mounted a padded "foot" (synthetic rubber) to the upper, left-hand corner (when facing aft) of the door, of just the correct thickness (about 1/2" or so). Found it at Home Depot if I remember correctly... it's original purpose was to be screwed into the bottom of a chair leg I think (a rubber "foot" is what some people call it). This made the door fit tight against the jam, so tight that the barrel bolt latch now requires some effort to slide closed... no rattling whatsoever! One might think the tightness of the latch would force the latch or hinges to seperate from the door over time, but I've not had to make any adjustments to it and I'm in my fifth season with Endless Summer. The first year it was so tight my pre-school boys couldn't unlatch the door (ages 1 and 2 at the time), which was a good thing of course. Now that they're older (ages 5 and 6) they know to lean into the door to take some of the pressure off the latch (or PULL on the door if they're on the outside coming in) when sliding the latch to unlock the door. I'll take some pictures of it when I'm at the boat later on this week and post them here.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

How come the simplest solutions are always the last you find? Thanks Jeff. I for sure will give it a go this weekend.
Cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymru View Post
How come the simplest solutions are always the last you find? Thanks Jeff. I for sure will give it a go this weekend.
That's kind of like.."Why is <yadda yadda> alwasy in the last place you look?" Because once you find it, you stop looking. LOL
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #9

I am away on business at the moment and don't have better pictures of the companion way door way mods that I made on Bella but I will post better ones next week. In the mean time what I did was to remove the securing strap alltogether then installed a combination of Multidirection Ball-Style Grab Catches that do two things, secure the door open and folded and also while closed. I added a door handle that gives you somthing to pull the door open with too. The catches are available from Mcmaster.com or http://www.mcmaster.com/#ball-catches/=bs9y7t

The door works great, is easy to open and close and stays either way without flopping open and swinging wildly in heavy seas.

Have a great weekend gang.

Bella Sera 3300SCR

Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

Bella, that's the best-looking, after-market screen door I've seen. Man, you guys' projects are WAY cooler-looking than mine are... it looks like that thing swings inside to the cabin. I've contemplated a screen for my 2900 SCR for years, but just couldn't figure out how to make it work. Who built the actual frame/screen for you? I'd LOVE to see some more pictures of how you did this...
Old 04-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #11

Thanks Jeff,

You're very kind. Bella's screen door was made entirely by yours truly. The frame is stainless steel which I cut from flat bar stock. then TIG welded them at each corner. The screen frame is made from household variety aluminum screen window frame then attatched to the frame with two sided foam tape from 3M. The hinges and hardware are from Mcmaster.com (I love that place for all kinds of stuff that your general marine supply store doesn't have.) To get the shape right I made a 1/4" thick plywood pattern first and screwed it to the hinges to make sure it fit as close as possible then made the SS frame to match it.
here is the thread I posted before on it.
http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum...=9352#post9352

Take care and enjoy that mighty 2900SCR!

Bella Sera 3300SCR
Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:39 AM   #12
Lt. Commander

Oaky, I know we've already hashed-out this door latch issue, but I wanted to see if the YouTube video (my first post ever) made it successuflly to our chat. Here it is, I just took this video today when I was doing other projects on Endless Summer; .

This is how I handled my rattling door latch on my 2900 SCR!