Old 06-19-2011, 02:45 AM   #1
Ensign

Default 1997 3000 scr 4.3l?

Just bought a 3000 SCR in pristine condition considering its year. It had Twin 4.3 Mercruisers in it, but I was wondering if that was enough power to push this boat. The owner before me claims its was fine but Im not too sure. What do you guys think? And how much would new engine with more power cost me? Thanks!!

Chris,

Maxumize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:03 AM   #2
Commander

Has to be faster than our 3700 SCR with twin 7.4 inboards. I top out at 32 MPH at a wallet draining .7 MPG. That's why our average speed is around 6 MPH at 1.3 MPG. We just put along and enjoy the ride.

dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
Admiral

well....first off, welcome to the zoo......2nd...total hp will help...ie twin 350's with 220hp = 440hp to push a 12000 lbs boat...not bad...but 600hp would definitely be better...

there is an old addage when I was growing up building chevie engines.....horsepower is the square root of the dollar.........

so...to replace the engines can easily be done.....but it might cost you quite a bit...michigan motors has some pretty good prices on full up 350mpi engines...

so...when you first started the process of buying this boat.....did you sea trail it??..what was your wot and speed???.
meaning the max rpm and top speed of the boat???

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
Ensign

Thank you for the welcome! I only put a down payment on the boat until tuesday when I go for the sea trial with the surveyor. So I will know by then.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
Admiral

keep us informed....the funny thing about boats....never heard anyone complain of too much hp.....

not enough yes.....but too much...nope....neeeeever heard of it...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 06-20-2011, 01:06 AM   #6
Admiral

Sea Ray puts alot of those 4.3 in their 30 footers.........soooooo it must be right.......:-)
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:55 AM   #7
Ensign

I hooooooope so! I'll be happy with a top speed of 35-40 knots, plus im sure those 4.3s are pretty fuel efficient!
Old 06-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxumize View Post
I hooooooope so! I'll be happy with a top speed of 35-40 knots, plus im sure those 4.3s are pretty fuel efficient!
It's always a buzz when shopping for a new boat. It's a pretty big investment, like a small house dollar wise when you get to 30 plus range. Just to give you some hysterical perspective (as Earnest P. Whorel would say!!) I invested in a new 2000' Maxum 3300SCR equipped with 350 MAG MPI BIII's for a total of 600 ponies (the most sought after power package for my boat), she cruises at 36 MPH while slurping down 1.2 MPG turning 3650 RPM's (as indicated by the onboard fuel computer). Top speed is an astonishing 48-49 MPH with a fuel burn that is too depressing to mention but still amazing for a 33' aft cabin cruiser. Your 4.3's are lighter and less thirsty than a coupla small block V8's in either 5.0 or 5.7 liter, but the torque is less as well. Torque translates to faster on plane speed and ability to maintain plane without slipping off to a sub planing speed due to a heavily loaded boat.

For that reason, I would suggest that you require that the boats gas and water are full so that you can fairly put the boat through its paces for testing on water. You may want to bring a few passengers with you as well to again represent what your real world boating load will be.

Like I mentioned in a previous post after owning a half a dozen different boats, A boats total HP is like sex, way too much is just right. The smaller mills will have to work harder to achieve the same cruise as their bigger brothers, so too will the longevity be lessened as a result.

Since you looking at a long term relationship with your new boat I would suggest getting the most bang for the buck. Just my two cents…..

Good Luck with the Sea Trial.

Bella Sera 3300SCR
Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #9

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxumize View Post
Just bought a 3000 SCR in pristine condition considering its year. It had Twin 4.3 Mercruisers in it, but I was wondering if that was enough power to push this boat. Chris,

Someone else thought the same thing, except only after he bought it....

http://www.myboatus.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=60741

Bella Sera 3300SCR
Bella Sera 3300SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
Ensign

Thanks so much for your help I really appreciate it! I will let you know how the sea trial goes tomorrow. Worst case i'll upgrade to some 5.0's! Any idea of how much that will run me? Thanks!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #11
Lt. Commander

Just my 2 cents. The first big question I have is what body of water are you putting it on. I'm in the midwest and just don't encounter really rough water or a need to cruise long distances. Therefore while I have a ton of power I don't really need it. If your on coastal water that HP could save your butt in a storm or in a bad situation.

IMHO I just don't know if I'd buy a boat with the plan of putting in new motors.....in todays market with all the options available I have to believe you would be able to find a higher powered boat for less than the work and money to upgrade. Now if your stealing it and love the boat it's all up to you....
tackleshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:10 AM   #12
Admiral

how much money ya got!!!....

check around at places like michigan motors dot com....SEI is another one...

SP

Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang