Old 08-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 1991 Maxum 1800XR - sits lower on right side

My 1800 sits lower in the right rear corner. I was told this may be due to water in the boat, that the flotation foam inside the boat may be waterlogged.

Any thoughts on how I can address this problem?

I have good quality bow and cabin cover, but rain still gets inside. Bilge is not automatic, so I know that is probably a good start. But if the foam is stacked in a channel inside the boat and there is no drain to the bilge, how can I fix this?

tombekarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
Commander

Tom, how much lower on the right side (this is called listing to starboard). Is that the same side the battery is on? That size boat can be very sensitive to ballast, so the battery could be causing the list, depending upon how much list you are talking about.

-JP

CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Does anyone know if tht boat even has foam in it?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:06 AM   #4
Ensign

OK, let me give what I know.

The boat sits about 3 or 4 inches lower, enough so that water puddles on the left side of the bow cover
The battery is on the other side (port).

According to a local mechanic who says he knows these old Maxums, there is foam in channels on either side of the ski compartment, and these channels have no drains but are packed with foam, and if the boat floods, over time the foam can load up with water.

The previous owner had a cheesey boat cover that let the rain seep in. I have better covers, but rain still gets in (I am trying to figure that out, likely at the windshield). After our last torrential downpour over 2 days, the boat was as full of water as I have ever seen it; the ski compartment was flooded all the way to the front seats. I am going to put in an automatic bilge pump to mitigate that.

I guess it is possible that the wood inside is also waterlogged so I hope that garaging it over the winter is a long term solution to that problem and the other improvements will decrease the water that gets into that area.

But I am open to suggestions.
tombekarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:00 AM   #5
Captain

make a boat cover all over the boat, then you dont have the problem of getting water into the boat anymore....and give her a nice warm place to over winter...take the drainplug out and let her dry...

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote