Old 05-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
Ensign

Default 1900 sport seating - door design mistake - any solution?

Hello

I have a maxum 1900 sport seating and on the left of the engine there is a door with a wet storage tank (that can be used as a cool box). When I try to pull the door to take out the tank, the door can not open all the way up and the tank can not be take out. The only solution was to remove all the screws, remove the door and take it out.

Did you find any other solution?

koutroullos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome to the zoo.....I don't have that small of a boat...so.hopefully one of our members with that boat will chime in..

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

I have a 2008 1900 SR3. The so called "built in" insulated cooler on mine is in the glove box along side of the stereo. My "wet locker" is at the transom (under transom seat) and while it could act is a cooler I guess, it is meant more for tow ropes, noodles, etc. (no insulation) So, our year models must be designed differently. Sorry can't offer any suggestions but maybe a photo of what you are talking about could help. Good luck.
New Boat 8/13/11: Chaparral 206SSI with 5.0 VP GXI SX
Prior Boat: 2008 Maxum 1900SR3, 4.3L V6 190HP, Alpha 1 (great boat)
2010 Ford 150 XLT Super Crew 5.4L V-8, tow package
2008 Infiniti G-35
Brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #4

Do you have a pic? This sounds more like a storage area with drainage. While I'll admit I'm frequently wrong, it sounds like it was never meant to be taken out to begin with. I have two places on my boat that are designed with drainage but neither are removable. Is this a design flaw or a flawed assumption?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #5

Ask a question.......walk away. Glad we could help.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
Ask a question.......walk away. Glad we could help.
Shrew,

LOL..........We tried...........

Here's wishing all a nice Memorial Day weekend and thanks to all who currently serve or have served in the military in defense of our freedom. And, a special thanks to those who have lost loved ones in the service of our country; all of whom we all pay tribute to this weekend!
New Boat 8/13/11: Chaparral 206SSI with 5.0 VP GXI SX
Prior Boat: 2008 Maxum 1900SR3, 4.3L V6 190HP, Alpha 1 (great boat)
2010 Ford 150 XLT Super Crew 5.4L V-8, tow package
2008 Infiniti G-35
Brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
Lt. JG

Unhappy Same problem

I have a maxum 1900 sport seating and on the left of the engine there is a door with a wet storage tank (that can be used as a cool box). When I try to pull the door to take out the tank, the door can not open all the way up and the tank can not be take out. The only solution was to remove all the screws, remove the door and take it out.

Did you find any other solution?

I have a 2006 1900 SR3 with the same "removable" cooler. I have not bothered to remove the screws. I hate the thought of having to epoxy all those screws back in place.
I think it's just bad design on the part of Maxum!
Captain's Cove Maxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:21 PM   #8
Ensign

I have the same issue. The door doesn't open all the way. It hits the fiberglass corner so will only open 3/4 of the way and the plastic bin inside is unable to slide out because the door is in the way. Only option is to remove all the screws for the door, and there is quite a few. Removing that bin and opening the door a full 90 degrees would allow you better access to the trim pump. Plus you can only put certain things in the storage locker because with the door only opening so far, the access is restricted
Tets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:12 AM   #9
Admiral

I think we have a new record... 20 year old thread....
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:21 AM   #10
Ensign

Only 10 years...but still relevant and I couldn't find any other info on the internet regarding this. Instead of starting a new thread it made more sense to add to this where others have experienced the same problem.
Tets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:16 AM   #11
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tets View Post
Only 10 years...but still relevant and I couldn't find any other info on the internet regarding this. Instead of starting a new thread it made more sense to add to this where others have experienced the same problem.
Yes only 10 year old thread however most of those folks haven’t posted in years and sadly one has passed away a few years ago. Typically it’s better to start a new thread over reviving an old one.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tets View Post
I have the same issue. The door doesn't open all the way. It hits the fiberglass corner so will only open 3/4 of the way and the plastic bin inside is unable to slide out because the door is in the way. Only option is to remove all the screws for the door, and there is quite a few. Removing that bin and opening the door a full 90 degrees would allow you better access to the trim pump. Plus you can only put certain things in the storage locker because with the door only opening so far, the access is restricted
Without pictures it's a bit tough to visualize. If there are alot of screws mounting the hinge, I suspect it's a piano hinge. Yes, sometimes the easiest solution is the one that requires some disassembly. I used to have to remove Cool Fuel module to get to my water pump.

If the radius of the door swing is too great, you could try cutting the hatch in half and installing a new piano hinge in the center, making the hatch a bi-fold.