Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Owners General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
Ensign

Default 1900 sc steering

hi, first post and already into a few problems,

At slow speed / manouvering the wheel "jumps" about 3-4 inches and is very notchy in operation, yet when cruising 25 knts all seems fine, i assume its the cable shot, so the questions are is it an easy replace job ( never had a mercruiser system before ) or is it just as easy to rip out the merc system and fit a no feed back tele flex system ? and what length cable is it ?

thanks in advance for any help and advice

Wolfie

wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
Admiral

First welcome aboard.

I suspect it's not the cable but to much play in the transom assy., these do wear. Try moving the outdrive side to side by hand if you have an inch or more of play it's probably the swivel pin at the top of the assy is worn and time to rebuild the assy (replace bellows also).

At speed the engine torque will put a load to one side and the slack won't be as apparent.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
Captain

there is a grease fitting on the power steering cylinder.

It could be the transom pin assembly, but usually they leak and you would have water in the bilged and see drip marks down the back of the transom.

It could be just the power cylinder needs to be bleed out, to remove the air.

You can check the cable by having someone turn the wheel with the engine off and watch the end of the cable in the engine compartment.
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Ensign

OK so if its the swivel pin worst case i hope, is it a simple job to overhaul ? before i put the boat in the water i could turn the outdrive freely and the wheel span round easily. did not think that it was power steering system, will have to look under the hood next time i go to it,, there is no water in the bilge and no up down or side to side play in the drive, thats why i thought it was a pure cable system ( its the 3.0 engine with Alpha 1 gen 2 leg ) the only pump i have come across so far is the trim tilt pump on the starboard stern wall, any more help and advice always welcome.
wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:48 AM   #5
Admiral

It's a day job that requires some special tools. If you need to do it get a mercruiser manual (aftermarket is fine).

When you moved the drive back and forth did the steering wheel move right away or was there some dead time when changing directions, hence the slop you mentioned. At top of transom assy there are 2 nuts that should be torqued to 50 ft lbs. This pinched the yoke around the swivel pin.

There is also a steering arm (like a tiller) that connects to the swivel pin on the inside and to the cable. Other potential places.

In boats the power steering is more power assist like old cars had before rack in pinion.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote