Old 10-16-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 1800SR Bow storage compartments won't drain to the bilge???

I have just purchased a 2003 1800 SR with less than 40 hours on it. When I tried hosing down the front storage compartments below the bow cushions I expected the water to flow through into the bilge.

Instead, the water seeped out of the join between the cockpit floor and the bow floor and runs all over the cockpit floor. When I checked the central storage compartment in the cockpit floor for the expected drain, I found that there isn't one and there is no connection between the two sections.

Has anyone else had a problem with this and what can be done about it?

I see where someone has tried to caulk the join between the two floor sections, but while that might solve the wet floor problem, I don't want to be left with water trapped inside the hull.

Is this problem common to Maxum bow riders? What gives?

CWERICB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
Admiral

i've heard of this happening in the smaller boats and was surprised to see something like this happened to my 2700....had to chase the crap out of the limber holes and deck drains....use a wire hanger to chase the holes out...if not then you may have to use a long thin drill to chase the holes....if there are no holes...then you will need to drill some new ones in....just barely above the inside of the hull....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
Ensign

Just a little concerned about drilling holes in my boat - any boat!

I had thought that that might be an answer, but I'm about to put the boat away for the winter and will have to look closer at that possibility in the spring. However, I am just a little concerned that the answer might not be that simple, and if it is, why didn't Maxum do this when they designed the boat - not really rocket science.

I looked at Maxum's web site to see if they had a section where you could e-mail questions like this but there doesn't seem to be any contact email addresses. Funny that you can buy a toaster, GPS, camera, etc and the companies fall all over themselves to offer tech advice and Maxum doesn't bother.

I hope they have enough interest in their owners to monitor this web site. That said, I do appreciate the fact that they do have some archieval info on older boats, but nothing builds customer loyalty like keeping in contact with your owners.

Anyway, surely I can't be the only one with this problem and I would appreciate any advice offered - Thanks
Old 10-16-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
Admiral

well...since I'm not the designer of the boats....I can't answer that one for you...however if you'd like...for a few short months left...you can contact maxum factory in arlington wa....360-435-5571

have your HIN number avail. and they will be happy to answer your questions...

also...don't be afraid to drill into fiberglass...thats the cool part about FG..it can be repaired and sanded back to smooth and re-gel coated very easily!!...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 10-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy
also...don't be afraid to drill into fiberglass...thats the cool part about FG..it can be repaired and sanded back to smooth and re-gel coated very easily!!...
Yikes - as someone who works with fibreglass I'm not sure I'd go that far! BUt yes it can be repaired if you mess things up.

Ideally, if its not draining and it bothers you there are some options...
bilge pumps, hose style drains to the ski locker, finding out what's bunged up etc etc...

I've had many 1800's and never had this problem so I'm assuming the caulk or some debris is causing the issue..... technically the water draining into the cockpit is no big problem as that water eventually gets to the ski locker or bilge where it can be contained and pumped out safely.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:51 PM   #6
Admiral

well...what I was trying to do is take some of the fear out of drilling into fiberglass...it's not hard to fill and repair if it's messed up...but that's just me...I've worked fiberglass since 1980 something..had a corvette...worked on a few race cars..etc...that's all.....you still want to be careful with it..tape places your not going to drill into..but as BR states....there are other options...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 10-20-2008, 07:46 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy
well...since I'm not the designer of the boats....I can't answer that one for you...however if you'd like...for a few short months left...you can contact maxum factory in arlington wa....360-435-5571

have your HIN number avail. and they will be happy to answer your questions...

SP
What happens in a few short months? Warranty expires? Dont tell me Maxum is about to go under...
Old 10-23-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
Ensign

Still looking for opinions on this one. And I was also wondering about the comment on the phone number? Is Maxum moving, closing, ??
Old 10-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #9
Lieutenant

who knows, seapuppy is usually pretty quick to respond. I know the Maxum dealer here in Spokane went under, it happened so fast I didnt even notice.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #10
Admiral

well...i've been trying to rattle the cages of people that I know who are in the business ...dealers are trying to buy up the inventories of the closed shops....the repair ctr here in everett is closed but I understand that someone is trying to get financing to open it up as a stand alone repair shop....the meridian line was purchased by lake union searay...and I'm not sure what is going to happen with the rest of the maxum line...I've heard that the maxum/meridian manufacturing line is going to be incorporated into the Searay line back east.....
warranty maintenance work is being done by any mercruiser approved site.....
that's all the news I know of....sorry..if I hear of anything else ...I'll certainly post it back here...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 10-24-2008, 12:56 AM   #11
Ensign

I don't normally follow Brunswick Marine's share price but I just took a look at it.

A year and a half ago it was running around $33 - $34.

By last month it had dropped to the $15 - $17 range.

Today it closed at $3.48. Ouch!