Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Specific > Sport Yachts
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-09-2016, 04:13 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Water under floor

I am in the process of buying a 2004 Maxum 2900 SE. I have looked at three so far. All are out of the water and either on trailers or blocks. there is a door in the floor at the bottom of the stairs, near the door to the head. When you remove this trap door, all three boats had several inches of water down there. I have read, generally, that to have water under the floor of a boat is a very bad thing as it can cause lots of damage and ruin the boat. If that is so, why did all three have tons of water under that door? Any insight would be appreciated.

bobgaudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome Bob !

Where are these boats at? In the water or dry dock . As an owner of a 01 3000 I get the a/c condensation going to the bilge in that area also . I take a dry/vac and take of it that way. Who is selling these boats.

Ask the owners...what's up? It could be loose water line. Water coming in the anchor locker. As far as doing something to the boat itself the water won't do anything .

You probably saw a bilge pump when you opened that floor hatch , just make sure it is working by lifting the float up. I would hire a surveyor to go through the boat , if you decide to go further, and tell the surveyor about it.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #3

It's more than likely simply where the A/C condensation drain is dumping. Not all of them were equipped with sump boxes. That is where mine drains.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:32 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

Could be the shower pump box is not working and is blocked by hair and whatnot. I too have drilled thru top of my shower pump box and ran A/C discharge into box. Beneath floor is always dry as long as I clean out strainer every so often.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:45 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Default water under floor

This is a Maxum 2900 design flaw. The horn is mounted facing upward in the anchor compartment, allowing water to enter freely. Also the windlass can, if not covered leak in as well. The drain in the bottom of the compartment can easily be obstructed by the rope or even insects. Easy fix with rolled screen.

Also, Take a phillips head screwdriver and remove the four screws on the shower box lid and see if its overflowing into the bilge. If it is, check to see if the switch and pump is working.
dannyrayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:57 PM   #6

There should be a drain at the bottom of the anchor locker with an isolated bulkhead. Anchor locker shouldn't be draining into the bilges.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote