Old 10-13-2017, 03:46 AM   #1
Ensign

Default v-berth wiring 4600 SCB

Hi - I have a 2000 4600 SCB. Great boat!. Anyway - the 2 reading lights in the v-berth are playing up and it seems to be the wiring. From the owners manual there are no details on where the wiring for these lights reside. Does anyone have any idea about the wiring harnesses and 12v connections for the v-berth?

thanks for any help

regards,
Dave

campbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard.

Do you know where the fuse for the lights is? If so you should be able to get a rough idea on how the wires are routed. I doubt the wires broke within the run but think the issues would be most likely at either end of the run. i.e. at the fixture or at the fuse panel.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:06 PM   #3
Ensign

Hi - there is a fuse (or switch) in a panel that does all the 12v for the v-berth. It is in the main living room. The reading lights are recessed into the wall, so there is not much to see unless I remove the whole wall...I was just wondering if anyone had any idea about where the wire runs are???

thanks
Dave
campbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #4

You probably don't need to know where the run itself is located. It's a 17 YO boat about to have a birthday. If its spent any amount of time in a saltwater environment, then the source will be corrosion. Corrosion doesn't typically occur mid-wire underneath the sheathing. It occurs at the locations where the copper is exposed, such as the connectors.

You can remove the light, check the connectors. You can remove the fuse panel and check the ground and positive. You can then do end-to-end continuity between the two points. More than likely you'll see the issue almost immediately once either end is opened up.

I would guess that it is more than likely on the light end. cut back a little wire, restrip, re-connect, shrink tubing to seal it up. You'll probably need a new light fixture as well.

Dissimilar metals in contact will tend to corrode at an accelerated rate. This is the case with the cheaper wiring in the light and the tinned wire in the cabling.

Just my .02
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
Admiral

So have you tested the power at the fixtures with a voltmeter and can see it moving around? Again I doubt the issue is within the run of the wire more like what shrew and I have said its loose or corrosion at the ends.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reading, v-berth, wiring